Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Led Strobe circuit help???

Hi guys,

I have a problem with a circuit i am modifying... Its a circuit from radioshack's electronics lab booklets. It uses the 4049 IC and the 4066 IC. It has adjustable speed using a pot., I didn't want that so I put in a 4.7k resistor to get the flash speed I wanted. It operates off of 6 volts and runs two leds alternating just fine. But I need it to run on 9 volts and run 4 panels of 18 5mm leds. All of it should be on a 9 volt battery for bicycle lighting or maybe two 9 volts. I put this circuit on a perfboard but it does not work correctly. It flashes out of sync and much faster. It also stores power in the ground terminals on the labs breadboard now when I tried to re do it on the breadboard to see whats wrong with the actual board on the perfboard. All wiring is checked countless times. Ohh and pin 9 of the 4049 is what is holding power to the ground.

Pictures are attached along with a schematic.

Attachments

• electronics 016.jpg
    electronics 016.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 273
  • electronics 026.jpg
    electronics 026.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 460
  • electronics 030.jpg
    electronics 030.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 416
  • electronics 036.jpg
    electronics 036.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 570

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Your first problem is the 4066. It has a fairly high ON resistance, so if you have multiple LEDs, you'll have issues with this.

Your second problem is that the 4049 has a limited output current. More than 1 LED in parallel is going to cause problems.

The best option would be to use the signal passing through the 4066 to switch a transistor which can then switch a higher current load (your panel of LEDs)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
look at the "transistor driver circuit" on this page.

It should not matter which circuit you use because it appears your duty cycle(s) are 50%

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
how do i find the signal passing through the 4066?

Pins 2 and 4 of the 4066 are the pins which need to be connected to the base of transistors via a suitable resistor (as shown in my earlier link)