Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED Lighting question

I am trying to rig up a LED lighting system for my Saltwater Reef Tank. I need to achieve about 300 lumens at a distance of 2 feet. I am having trouble doing this.

Here is my question. I have 12 LEDs lighting up and producing approx. 300 lumens at a distance of 6 inches. What can I do to increase this distance? Would adding more lights increase my lumens distance? Thanks everyone.

Lumens is a distance-free unit. It's the total output from the light source (summed in all directions).
Candela, or Lux are the terms used for illumination of a surface (at a distance from the light source).
To answer your first question: use reflectors or optics.
To answer your second question: yes.

Thanks for the reply.....

I seemed to have misunderstood my requirements. I am trying to acheive a high PAR reading from these LEDs. Since PAR decreases over distance, would adding more and more lights increase this PAR reading?

As long as the LED's have photosynthetic active wavelengths at all then I assume that doubling the number of LED's will double the PAR reading - as well as the lux reading of course.

LED Selection Solution

Preface note: If you are trying to duplicate sunlight, you want to keep wavelength in mind when selecting LEDs. Use a couple of 10mm, 5,000 MCD? Giant Bright White LEDs from Electronic Goldmine (goldmine-elec dot com), pt# G14040, maybe use with diffuser filters since they are blinding to look at (be careful!, these are brighter than a halogen source), and will turn night into day. I'm using some of these to light up business signs (only two required!!). These run on 3.4 vdc @100 mA each typically.

DD

Check this out and see if it would work. I just ordered this light myself (for a bike); but it seems like it can work in your application. It's got pretty good light output :D. More than likely, you would want to use a power supply at home.Hope that helps, Gil.

Sorry; the copy/paste didn't take.
Here it is: doubleudoubleudoubleu(dot)dealextreme(dot)com/details.dx/sku.25149