Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Lead acid battery - how long can it be left discharged?

It has always been my religion... A lead-acid battery kept discharged over 24 hours will never recover to its full specifications.

So the situation is this: Recently we experienced frequent power outages. Shortest ones were for 2, 3 hours, longest for about 24 hours. I have 100Ah AGM lead acid battery that powers inverter to provide power for light, computer and TV. I was wondering how long can the battery stay discharged, let's say that I depleted it in 10 hours and the power will not get back for another 12 hours. From what I understand I should charge it immediately, but that's not possible sometimes.

What about the different situation, if I have LEDs that use 10W of power. They could be powered from that battery for 100 hours. How will that affect the battery when it's let's say 50% depleted and because the LEDs draw relatively small current it will spend a lot of time slowly discharging. Will that damage the battery?

Actually, what damages the battery, the time spent on low voltage or time spent on low voltage while nothing draws the current from the battery? To clarify, is it the same for the battery if it sits on 11V doing nothing or if it sits on 11V slowly discharging 1A into LEDs?

As far as my knowledge goes, I think 72 hours is the cap. After that the battery will start facing permanent damages.