Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I've been out of this too long...

Problem: My mother has one of those chair lifts in the back of her vehicle. It comes equipped 'not-handy' cabled remote switch for raising and lowering. Add to that, There is a short somewhere in the system that keep draining her car battery, so I want to cut off the power to the unit until I have time to trace down the short.
Anyway, I thought I'd try and put a wireless remote on it for her, and I need one with 3 functions: on/off, momentary up, momentary down.
do I need a 3 channel remote switch for this? Anybody know of one that would work for this application?

First up, modifying a piece of, more than likely, certified equipment might land you in hot water.

Then I would be cautious on the use of anything remote control due to the extra failure possibilities that could leave one high and dry or worse.

Other than that, there are remote relays on many online electronic supply outlets that will give you either, toggle or on-off but not sure of any that will give both at the same time.

One could use two receivers and keyfobs, one set for your on-off via a single relay unit and the other set for momentary on a 2 relay unit.

Operation is either on the 355mhz or 433 mhz bands and can come with keyfob control or without. Extra keyfobs also available and easily programmed to suit particular relay output board.

Switching current (I think) up to around 10A via relay output but easily beefed up with contactors or mosfet switching.

Thank you for your concern. Yea, any modification adds possible failure points to a system.
I've been shopping around a bit, and found some products, I think, might do the trick, but not sure. I've been out of electronics a long time; can you recommend any online supply outlets?
I need to keep it simple as this is for my elderly mother. Two fobs would only confuse her. I'm looking for a 3 button fob and a receiver with an option to put a power on/off relay to the motor. Not looking to build anything, but programming would be an option I can work with.
I also having trouble finding the specs on the motor to determine the power rating I need for the relays. Its a 12V system, so I don't think it would be over 10A.

120 W might be enough, but it seems light to me.

If I understand you correctly, you want one alternate-action function (power latch on and power latch off with one button) and two momentary functions. Yes / No?

There are a ton of wireless remote control modules on ebay, many with relays as output stages. The trick is finding that can be either alternate-action or momentary in the same unit..

ak