Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ISO a particular switch. Don't know what it's called/to look for

Most animals have four legs and if these are not connected to identical voltages then large currents can flow.
A faulty 11kV mains transformer put a voltage gradient in the ground. The sheep did not seem to mind until they were touched with a shearing machine but the dog would not come near. He could be have been fitted with wellies.:)

Most animals have four legs and if these are not connected to identical voltages then large currents can flow.
A faulty 11kV mains transformer put a voltage gradient in the ground. The sheep did not seem to mind until they were touched with a shearing machine but the dog would not come near. He could be have been fitted with wellies.:)

Thanks. So is it the pump itself that is dangerous or me throwing a switch in the pump dangerous??

Thanks. So is it the pump itself that is dangerous or me throwing a switch in the pump dangerous??

If you'll notice, the micro-switch shown has exposed terminals. If you switch 110v ac with that switch, with the switch being positioned near or on the floor so that kitty can step on a platform, there's too much chance that water will spill, cats step in water, and Zap! If you position the switch safely above the floor it would have to be well-protected. Cats are curious, one lick to the terminals, and bye bye fluffy.

But, actually, the pump should run most of the time for the benefit of the cats, only shutting off when you're around to be annoyed. You could buy a simple remote-controlled outlet and carry the remote with you, switching it off when you are in the room, and on when you leave. Or just unplug it.

If you'll notice, the micro-switch shown has exposed terminals. If you switch 110v ac with that switch, with the switch being positioned near or on the floor so that kitty can step on a platform, there's too much chance that water will spill, cats step in water, and Zap! If you position the switch safely above the floor it would have to be well-protected. Cats are curious, one lick to the terminals, and bye bye fluffy.

But, actually, the pump should run most of the time for the benefit of the cats, only shutting off when you're around to be annoyed. You could buy a simple remote-controlled outlet and carry the remote with you, switching it off when you are in the room, and on when you leave. Or just unplug it.

Hmm.. Now I'm considering just 86'ing this whole thing lol. Or the light activated switch idea. Thanks

Hmm.. Now I'm considering just 86'ing this whole thing lol. Or the light activated switch idea. Thanks

Besides cats, kids are curious too. Might want to consider whether it's a good idea to electrocute yours or your visitors. There are safe ways to work with household electric power, and all of them require experience and training (plus proper licenses, in many cases). The light-activated switch is the only way I would do this if it were my home and my cats. And I don't even like cats all that much :)

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
I hate to revive this thread, but has no one actually read the page that @juntjoo linked to earlier that advertises this contraption for sale at Wally-World? Further down the page (use the scroll key) there is a link to the
Aqua Cube Fountian Operating Guide. The "Guide" clearly shows that the pump is powered from a wall-wart, and that it can be disconnected from same by means of a barrel connector for purposes of cleaning it. In other words the pump uses a small PMDC motor, probably operating at 12 V DC or less. The OP could break one of the pair of wires on either side of the barrel connector to insert normally-open contacts of a micro-switch, or whatever other contraption is desired, without worrying about coming in contact with mains voltages.

We have been owned by several cats over the years: some indoor, some outdoor, and one of them a feral kitten (rescued by wife from inside a cinder block) who decided she mainly preferred indoor life. Not once have we ever thought that anything more complicated than a bowl of water plus a bowl of dry cat food, placed on the floor in the kitchen, was necessary for their well being.

I hate to revive this thread, but has no one actually read the page that @juntjoo linked to earlier that advertises this contraption for sale at Wally-World? Further down the page (use the scroll key) there is a link to the
Aqua Cube Fountian Operating Guide. The "Guide" clearly shows that the pump is powered from a wall-wart, and that it can be disconnected from same by means of a barrel connector for purposes of cleaning it. In other words the pump uses a small PMDC motor, probably operating at 12 V DC or less. The OP could break one of the pair of wires on either side of the barrel connector to insert normally-open contacts of a micro-switch, or whatever other contraption is desired, without worrying about coming in contact with mains voltages.

We have been owned by several cats over the years: some indoor, some outdoor, and one of them a feral kitten (rescued by wife from inside a cinder block) who decided she mainly preferred indoor life. Not once have we ever thought that anything more complicated than a bowl of water plus a bowl of dry cat food, placed on the floor in the kitchen, was necessary for their well being.

well that's why my cats love me more. Kidding. They just like the finer things in life like falling spring water. I only have to bend over to refresh the water bowl now 1/3 as much as before. ;)

since I started this thread I've just recently decided to get them trained to a hamster water feeder. Now THAT'S a good idea. no atmospheric contamination. Long lasting, fresh,. . just no waterfall sounds.