Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is this VFD compatible with this AC motor?

Hi everyone,

I am a vegetable farmer building a root washer (for potatoes, carrots, etc.) and I'd like it if I could finely control the speed of the motor that controls the rotation of the washer.

Is this cheap, over the counter Variable Speed Drive compatible with my motor? (Seems like it should based on the basic specs, but I know very little about electronics and don't want to fry the motor.)

The motor: Hallmark Industries, General purpose, Single Phase, AC Motor, 1/2HP, 1725RPM, 1PH/60HZ, 115V/208-230V, FL AMP = 8.8/4.4

The speed controller: "Speed Bully Motor Speed controller 120V. Easily control the speed of fans, pumps, routers and most other AC/DC Brush-Type motors, 15 AMPS or less. The Speed Bully features a quick and easy to use adjustable dial that gives you full control from 0 to full RPM."

Thanks!
David

Cannot get to your link for the controller BUT........
Normally vfd's run 3 phase motors.......
Your motor is a split phase single phase motor

Your comments refer to the controller running ac/dc series motors which the above is not.
Series mootors are brush type motors as in hand drills, vacuum cleaners, angle grinders etc.
Think you'll find your speed controller is actually a chopped phase controller not variable frequency drive as in your heading.

There is no electrical way to electrically control the speed of your motor other than via fixed speed windings in which a different number of poles are selectable.
Mechanically one could use a variable pulley drive or a torque converter as in automatic automotive transmission.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is a Triac controller for Universal motors.
There are 1ph VFD's out there but they are not really popular or recommended as they tend to drop out of run when used at low RPM and on a load.
Around here, there is at least one non-working treadmill a week offered for scrap - free, many salvage the DC motor and motor board and use either a pot or a PWM control board, depending on the style used in the T.M.
Typically 2.5-3.0 HP and 4krpm.
M.