Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is Raspberry Pi and Arduino hardware compatible with the Chip?

Hi

Would I be able to use a sensor that is marketed for Arduino/Raspberry Pi with the Chip GR8? I understand that the code would need to be modified and the form factor might be different but at a hardware level, there's no reason the hardware could only be made to work on Arduino or Raspberry Pi, is there? That the case wouldn't fit wouldn't be an issue as I could always make my own.

I haven't bought any of them yet. If I start with Raspberry Pi, would I somehow be locked in to only buying add-on modules that are specifically marketed for the Raspberry Pi or would I be able to use Arduino sensors as well? Likewise with the Chip, would I only be able to use their own sensors or would I be able to combine the Chip with Arduino and/or Raspberry Pi sensors?

Any sensor can be used with any processor - all that is required is to change the sensor output to a signal that the processor can accept, usually 0-5V or some serial data. As you surmise, coding changes are usually necessary too.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but some people seem to be under the impression that they can't mix and match. I'm happy to re-configure a couple of things if necessary.

Just be careful to check the supply voltage needed by the sensor(s). Some are 5v, others 3.3v. Some have a voltage regulator onboard, so they can use 5v even if they only run on 3.3v internally.

Also, the output voltage needs to match the Arduino (0-5v) or the Pi (0-3v) input requirements.

There are tiny, cheap voltage converters available for this purpose for digital I/0. For analog, you'll probably wind up making your own voltage divider if required.