Maker Pro
Maker Pro

iPod Classic Hard Drive Extension

I'm just curious as to whether it would be possible to go into my iPod (classic) and place an additional hard drive so that it could have more space. I've nearly filled 160GB over the past two years, and I would ideally like to be able to fill this one up further without requiring a multi-iPod library, or wiping it and starting fresh.

Nope, not possible, you would need a complete change of the internals of the system, since the way it addresses things it would most likely act similar to a RAID 1 setup (all drives have the same information and are read/written to simultaneously, it would not likely do anything other than kill your battery.

You would have to replace the whole hard drive and reflash the firmware for the bigger size, and even then the drives might be serially matched so even then it may not work

That's what I figured, I just wanted to see if anyone had a workaround. Oh well. I guess I've got some reorganizing to do! Thanks for the reply!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
This really isn't an electronics question.

The answer is that from a hardware point of view, determine the interface, then get a larger capacity drive with the same interface.

The problem then becomes a software issue, and likely one that is specific to the iPod.

I'd google for "upgrade iPod classic hard drive" and see what turns up.

I would buy a brand other than Apple that does not make everything proprietry and/or impossible to upgrade except with Apple components.:)