Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I want to modify my car radio

My hearing isn't the greatest and I'm not hearing my car radio\disc player properly.

What I'd like to do is add a headphone socket to the radio unit so that I can choose to listen to the speakers normally, or through headphones.

I've been told I'd have to modify the radio to do this.

I'm no expert but I would have thought I'd only need to insert the headphone jack into to the speaker lead circuit.

Advice would be appreciated.

Output too high for headphones, unless you want to make your own headphones out of a piece of bent spring steel and a couple of 8"x 6" speakers. :)

If it has aux out socket on the radio just jump into a bluetooth wireless headphones and adaptor.

Anyhow, these line to rca level converters might be the type of thing you are after, others may be able to jump in and comment. Could be possible to run a bluetooth off this and then have wireless headphones also.
Not sure about the traffic laws governing this type of thing though.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/speaker-high-level-to-line-level-converter/p/AA0482

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

In cheap bookshelf stereos the headphone out is often nothing more than a pair of resistors (resistor divider) on the speaker output, to drop the signal level to that appropriate for headphones, though some high-end headphones can need higher levels than the average headphones.

You can see suggested values and equations on the following page under "Passive Low-Level Networks" "Line-Level Adapter":

https://www.termpro.com/asp/pubs.asp?id=119

I see you are from New Zealand and can't speak to your local laws. But in the US, wearing headphones while driving is illegal.

Guys, thanks for your comments. It's obviously way more complex than just inserting a headphone jack into the speaker output, so I'll flag it. Obviously there are more expensive options than a $2 headphone jack and a smidgen of solder, but it's not important enough to me to warrant the elevated buckage.

NOTE:
1) No existing output socket on this 2005 Toyota Camry Sportiva basic radio\disc model.
2) A more powerful amp? LOL! I don't want thumping base noise, I get enough of that over the fence from my 40-year-old teenage neighbor. I just want to easily hear song lyrics and clear voice from talkback.
3) Which I can get from my Fiio MP3 player with Cheetah POW BT cans. Except for talkback, of course.
4) AFAIK, wearing headphones while driving isn't illegal in NZ. Whereas holding a mobile phone to your ear is most definitely an offense. I gotta ticket to prove that :-(.
5) Yes, I could buy hearing aids but I'm not gonna pay the crazy current prices. Fortunately, this gouging is about to come to an end.

BTW: Bluejets, thanks for the laugh :p I'll never think about headphones in the same way again!

Many of these late model radios would have rca out provision but I looked up your model Camry and there is no mention of this in the user instructions. (Has everything short of "taking the dog for a walk though)
Not to say they don't exist.
RCA out allows for connection of low level signal to woompa-woompa systems one sees going down the road sometimes. These particular vehicles don't need petrol as they operate on the push-pull from every woompa.
Also no need for more than 2 brain cells to drive.( or so stands my observations)
Got me beat how they can identify emergency vehicles ....maybe just don't give a fug>

When most stupid drivers see an emergency vehicle behind them, they stop and block the path instead of getting out of the way. Hearing the siren will alert them before it is too late.

Many of these late model radios would have rca out provision but I looked up your model Camry and there is no mention of this in the user instructions. (Has everything short of "taking the dog for a walk though) Not to say they don't exist.

If it keeps bugging me I'll pull it and look. Thanks for checking it out :)

RCA out allows for connection of low level signal to woompa-woompa systems one sees going down the road sometimes. These particular vehicles don't need petrol as they operate on the push-pull from every woompa.
Also no need for more than 2 brain cells to drive.( or so stands my observations)
:p

Got me beat how they can identify emergency vehicles ....maybe just don't give a fug>
:p