Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I just replaced the capacitors in two Gateway monitors and turned on then died again

edit: look at that good grammar in the title

I have two Gateway FPD1975Ws, one from 2005 and one from 2006. They both had blown capacitors on their power supplies, I had to replace 6 on the newer one and 1 on the older one. I've done this before and it had worked for about 6 months until it failed again. I replaced the capacitors like last time and made sure the soldering looked neat.

The older one (1 cap replaced) turned on when I plugged it in, I let it run for a minute, then pressed the power button to turn it off and it wouldn't turn back on. I took it apart and nothing looked visibly wrong, the PSU was still putting out 5 volts on the two 5v pins.

I tried the newer one, it turned on and I let it run for a minute, then I plugged it in and used it with my PC for about 5 minutes. After changing the brightness settings, it shut off and wouldn't come back on. I haven't taken it apart yet but I assume something similar happened.

I can take more pictures, or closer ones if needed

Last edited:
I would check for dc across the pads where the caps were after cleaning of that area. Since the caps were rated for 50 volts dc, you should have less than that unless the volts increased because of failure possibly due to regulation problems. I would also check for an ac component in the dc. I believe that cap was an electrolytic due to it's value, possibly a tantalum. Ed.