Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HPN 5039 Samsung Plasma. Dark picture with pink snowy fuzz. Pics included

Hey guys so I have a 50" plasma (samsung hpn 5039).

It's been giving me hell for the last month or so. It turns on fine. Has no problem staying on but the picture is horrible.

It's dark, fuzzy/grainy and has what appears to be pink snow that takes up most of the top left portion of the screen.

I've replaced some of the caps that were bad but that didn't seem to change anything. I suspect that there are more bad caps so I plan to head to local parts store and grab some. I will include pictures.

Found voltage sticker. tested all voltages. They are as follows

V5d: sticker rated-5.3 actual- 5.3
VG: Sticker-15- actual - 15.3
VSCAN: Sticker-95 Actual- 110
VS: Sticker-82 Actual- 101
VSET: Sticker-125 Actual 144
VE: Sticker- 115 Actual 129
VA: sticker-76 Actual 87

Seems that they're all high.

I've noticed a few of the largest caps on the PS are bulged. But not bulged in the middle. They are bulged on all four sides of the x. The dead center of the caps is still fine. Not sure if that helps @ all.

If you need more pics or more info please feel free to ask

http://postimg.org/image/cdqhju793/

http://postimg.org/image/6fh9ncdo7/

I also have a 50" Samsung Plasma. Shortly after I first bought it I was getting red or pink snow, mostly near the top. Fortunately it was under warranty and I had the Geek Squad come out. They replaced the Panel and told me the new Panel is an upgrade. That was about 3 years ago. Been perfect ever since then. Not sure if you are having a problem with the Panel though.

I also have a 50" Samsung Plasma. Shortly after I first bought it I was getting red or pink snow, mostly near the top. Fortunately it was under warranty and I had the Geek Squad come out. They replaced the Panel and told me the new Panel is an upgrade. That was about 3 years ago. Been perfect ever since then. Not sure if you are having a problem with the Panel though.

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by panel. THanks

The big screen or display panel, sorry.

I gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Not sure that it is the screen itself. I've been told that it's likely an X main board problem.

I quote this from another posting "The display is showing poor diffusion, a characteristic of X-main failure. If you had no picture at all it might be a Y-main or X-main fault (then isolate X-main power: no picture: Y-main, picture distorted: X-main.)"

Thanks! That may help me in the future. Good Luck with yours.
I have 3 Plasmas, Samsung,Panasonic and Insignia, love them all.

davenn

Hi Zed

welcome to the forums :)

replace ALL the bulging electrolytic caps and do voltage measurements again, you will probably find most or all of them have come back into range
if not replace any power supply electro caps that are not bulging, they may still have dried out significantly

replace with same value or a little higher if you cant get the exact values
make sure the replacements are ALL 105deg C caps

cheers
Dave

Hey Davenn thanks for the welcome and the response.

I will as soon as I can get the money together. Caps with that high of Voltage and uF are not cheap and I will need about 8 or so.

But in the mean time i'm wondering while that may bring the voltages back into range will it improve the "diffusion"? I was told that from the pictures it looks like a bad X main but I can unplug the X main all together and still get the same exact image.

Also I was told that I should change the battery on my DMM as low batt can cause universally high or low readings.

Thanks for the info.

davenn

incorrect voltages will cause all sorts of weird and wonderful symptoms
its anyone's guess as to what a given incorrect voltage in just one complex circuit may do let alone a bunch of incorrect voltages across many circuits

cheers
Dave