Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to Extend Digital Camera Battery's Life for 10+ Hours?

I recently purchased a Mini DV VD80 Pocket Digital Video Camera:

31OAsEx2pAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would like to have it record 6 hours of continuous video footage. It has a
Built-in Li rechargeable battery which lasts about 2 hours.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edit: 8 GB microSD is the max storage capacity. 40 minutes per GB recording time = about 6 hours of footage.

Also, the MINI-DV doesn't allow recoding while the battery pack is connected. Using an AC adapter converter to USB also doesn't allow recording since it must be the actual adapter with a mini plug.

Last edited:

davenn

Also, the MINI-DV doesn't allow recoding while the battery pack is connected. Using an AC adapter converter to USB also doesn't allow recording since it must be the actual adapter with a mini plug.

well unfortunately thats a really bad design. There's not much you could do without hacking into the camera and bringing the battery connections to the outside so that you could connect a higher capacity battery.
Either that or get a camera that will support an external supply

Dave

this seems too small to add anything. a new case would be needed and then a bigger battery. thats the only way i can see it

Is it possible to connect the Li battery (connected to the camera) to another Li battery, and have it charge and power the camera at the same time?

Also, the battery is: 120 mAh 3.7V

Would I be able to use a bigger battery (i.e. 2Ah 3.7V) to extend the time is stays charged?

Last edited:

davenn

Is it possible to connect the Li battery (connected to the camera) to another Li battery, and have it charge and power the camera at the same time?

Also, the battery is: 120 mAh 3.7V

Would I be able to use a bigger battery (i.e. 2Ah 3.7V) to extend the time is stays charged?

no, you have already said.....
Also, the MINI-DV doesn't allow recoding while the battery pack is connected. Using an AC adapter converter to USB also doesn't allow recording since it must be the actual adapter with a mini plug

the only real choice is as I said in my first post :)

Dave

I was thinking of trying something like this:

LiPo-18650-3-7V-5200.jpg

How would I connect the battery to the circuit on the camera and still be able to charge it with the charger?

01211-charger-1.jpg