Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to control the voltage/current in resistive wires for heating?

Hello,

I'm new to electronics, and I was planning to make a heater to heat up a stainless steel container, and I was wondering if there was a way to control the temperature by controlling the current or voltage? I'm using nichrome wires for the resistive wires. The nichrome wires I'm using are 0.3MM in diameter and 20.10 Ohms/m

One simple way is with a SSR (solid State Relay). If you want to control temperature then a thermostat and thermal sensor is needed.
Depending on temperature needed and the medium you are heating, will depend on the sensor type.
For heating, burst method is used rather than phase angle control via Triac etc, although the SSR is generally a triac output for AC, it does not use the phase angle control method.
Are you planning on using 120 or 240v AC power?
M.

One simple way is with a SSR (solid State Relay). If you want to control temperature then a thermostat and thermal sensor is needed.
Depending on temperature needed and the medium you are heating, will depend on the sensor type.
For heating, burst method is used rather than phase angle control via Triac etc, although the SSR is generally a triac output for AC, it does not use the phase angle control method.
Are you planning on using 120 or 240v AC power?
M.

I'm using a 12V battery source. I tried using a peltier plate, but I couldn't switch the direction of the current, so I decided to use it for cooling, and the resistive wires for heating