Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How important is giving 6V to a laser device that uses 5V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys. Another "new guy" question: I have this laser projector that I bought and I want to power it from big, 6V batteries, instead of from the AC adapter that it came with. The problem is that the adapter provides 5V DC. How much of a risk of damaging this thing is there if I just run it with the 6V batteries?

Laser psu requirments

I think if its a laser pointer device or similar, then not critical, but not critical to me would be no more than 0.5 of a volt, 6 volts i think is probably a bit much, especially if 5 volts is the working voltage. If it was an optical drive in a digital circuit more critical i would think. You really can drop 0.7 of a volt with 1 single silicone diode on the + volts lead from the battery forward biased. That would be exceptable. I use diodes all the time to drop or increase voltage.
Dave.

davenn

Hello guys. Another "new guy" question: I have this laser projector that I bought and I want to power it from big, 6V batteries, instead of from the AC adapter that it came with. The problem is that the adapter provides 5V DC. How much of a risk of damaging this thing is there if I just run it with the 6V batteries?

hey mate dont start a new thread on the same subject :) it confuses people trying to replay and help you if they have to look in multiple places

Keep it all together in your other thread

cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.