Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with a mini sump pump with water sensor

Newbie here. I would like to build a mini sump pump with a water sensor to empty a low point in my garage that collects water during big rain storms, maybe a couple gallons at most, no higher than 1/2 inch. Not really enough to justify a real sump. The house is a 100-yr old rental and the leaks are not going to be fixed anytime soon. When the sensor finds water it should switch on the tiny battery powered siphon and when the water is low the pump should switch off.

I found an old Basement Watchdog 9V Battery-Operated Water Alarm (free) and I bought a DuraHeat Battery-Powered Siphon Pump ($15) that takes a couple D cell batteries - it's a basically like a big old flashlight with a tiny pump instead of a light. The pump and the impeller are at the "sucking" end of the tube and I need to create a nozzle that attaches to that to connect it to a little filter I'll put on the ground where it sucks up water. The discharge hose from the pump will empty into a plastic tote that I have on hand. Maybe later I could route a tube to a drain. I could really use suggestions at this point -- how do I connect the two? What parts do I need?

Attachments

• siphon - 1.jpg
    siphon - 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 145
  • siphon - 2.jpg
    siphon - 2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 160
  • siphon - 3.jpg
    siphon - 3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 155
Welcome to EP.
The buzzer in the alarm probably has a terminal permanently connected to either the -ve or +ve terminal of the battery. It would help us to know which one, so that a suitable point to take off a control signal for the pump can be identified. Do you have a multimeter to determine that?
Can you tell us the markings on that 14-legged IC?