Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help Regarding Linear Motor

Hi. I am looking for linear motor to drive the shaft (2.5 pound) of a small generator. I need about 13 cm of linear movement (26 cm to and fro) . The peak force required is about 180N and a maximium velocity of about 3.9 m/sec. I googled to find linear actuators but found really expensive ones. I am looking for something in the range of $250. Can somebody suggest me something in this range?

What is it you are trying to do? Driving a generator with a linear actuator does not sound like a particularly efficient design.

Bob

Harald Kapp

I completely agree with Bob.

A simple design you can build yourself would use a "normal" rotating motor. Connect the axle to a threaded rod of the required length. Use a nut screwed onto the rod and mounted to the generator (or whatever it is you are going to move) or cut a thread directly into the receiving end of the actuator. Don't allow the nut to turn when the threaded rod turns.
By turning the rod, the nut will move along the rod. Of course you will ned end switches so the motor will stop wneh the nut reaches either of both ends of the rod.

Here's some stuff to read: http://www.ehow.com/list_7587029_linear-actuators-tips.html

Harald