Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me in schematic diagram...

Help me build a schematic diagram...

I want a auto-shutdown circuit...

This is for UPS and a computer, when black-out, the auto-shutdown circuit will turn off the computer (generate soft-switch to PS_ON) (like pressing the computer power-off switch).

This saves the UPS battery and properly shutdown computer without user interaction during black-outs

Thanks...

Does your UPS come with monitoring software to automatically shut the computer down?

There is usually a serial or USB cable that is connected between the UPS and computer.

The way it works is that the on/standby button goes to a circuit on the motherboard, and that circuit drives the enable signal to the power supply. Because we don't know exactly what that motherboard circuit is, the safest thing is to connect the output of an optocoupler in parallel with the switch.

220Vac > blackout detector > optocoupler

The circuit must hold the switch closed for at least several seconds. After that, continuing to hold it closed until the circuit's energy supply runs out is not a problem. For applications like this, that energy supply usually is a large capacitor; but you can get away with a smaller one. Here is a plan that is a bit more complicated but will give better results:

220Vac > optocoupler > blackout detection > 5 second delay > output optocoupler > chassis on/standby switch

The 5 second delay prevents the computer from shutting down during a quick power bounce. This can be lengthened to any time period you are comfortable with. Since you can use the computer's own +12 V supply to run the circuit, the circuit down to two separate optocouplers, 1 transistor, and some D's, R's and C's.

Blackout detector - either a relay with a 220Vac coil or an optocoupler (with a 10 W resistor in series with the input diode). This keeps a timing capacitor discharged.

Delay - when power goes out, the timing capacitor starts charging. After 5 seconds it has enough voltage across it to turn on a small MOSFET.

Output - the FET drives an optocoupler continuously until the computer's +12 V supply goes away, indicating the power suppl has shut down. The optocoupler's output transistor is in parallel with the on/standby switch contacts. You will need to measure the switch contacts with a voltmeter to determine which way to connect the opto.

I can whip up a schematic, but first - How does that sound?

ak

This is a motherboard of computer...
You need to switch on that two pins in motherboard then switch off (just like push button switch).
Okey, show me ur schematic ;)

On all of my recent computers, you have to hold in the on/standby switch for at least 4 seconds before it turns off the power supply. How quickly does your motherboard react when you push the switch?

ak

davenn

Why does your electricity have blackouts?

because he is in the Philippines and power supply there is VERY unstable/unreliable.
UPS units are the highest selling office/home item after purchasing the actual computer

My wife is from the southern Philippines ( 400,000 pop city) brownouts, total blackouts are an almost daily occurrence
Pretty much everyone who has a computer, also has a UPS to go with it

because he is in the Philippines and power supply there is VERY unstable/unreliable.
I have never been there and do not understand why it is allowed to happen there. I cannot remember when the last blackout occurred here. Years ago. We celebrated.

Neither of my Win7 systems behave that way. The relationship between the on/standby switch and the power supply is controlled by the motherboard hardware and the BIOS, not the operating system.

Is this for a school project?

ak

I'm not comfortable posting a circuit that can kill you in a forum called "Homework". Do you have an unused wall wart that can be used as part of the AC-fail detector? Smaller is better, but any size, any output voltage will work.

ak

12 volts transformer ? okey i buy any components, just tell me..

this circuit is for my gcafepro diskless server...

ups with shutdown software are expensive...

i had to buy an ordinary ups..

maybe you can send me the circuit to [email removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the on/standby switch is SPST with a short 2-wire harness going to a 2-pin connector on the motherboard, please measure these three voltages with the computer running:

Switch pin 1 to pin 2
Switch pin 1 to system GND
Switch pin 2 to system GND.

ak

First pass at a non-lethal circuit. This one requires a DC-output wall wart as the AC power fail detector, plugged directly into the mains. The filter capacitor in the wall wart acts as a time delay to prevent shutting down the server during brief power interruptions. The circuit uses one of the computer's main power supply +12 V outputs for power.

When the voltage from the wall wart drops below approx. 2 V, Q1 turns off. This lets R1 turn on Q2, which shorts together the switch contacts.

ak
Auto-Turn-Off-2-c.gif