Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me choose the right components for this project?

I'm a completely new at electronics, but I'd like to get started on a simple project. 4th of July is coming up, and I'd like to make a simple one button detonator with a safety toggle for the fireworks that we have. I'm using modified christmas tree lights with black powder as fuse ignitors, but I'm not sure how to choose the right electrical components for my detonator. I blindly went into radio shack and picked up a toggle switch and a momentary push button switch, but I'm not sure what types of resistors or what type of wire, or power source to use, or even if I got the right switches. I'm confused on how to pick the right type of battery, or the right types of electromechanical components in general, and how to understand the Amps and Voltage markings on the electronics. like for instance the SPST toggle switch that I picked up says "3A 125VAC" and "1.5A 250VAC". I'm not really sure what that means. I don't want to burn out a switch using the wrong type of battery or use the wrong wire, and basically, I'm totally in the dark here. I know about Ohms and resistance and watts and voltage in general, but I'm not too keen on circuitry and how to choose the right parts for the job. I've looked on Mouser Electronics and there are hundreds of toggle switches that generally all look the same but the specs are different from each other. How does one normally sift through and pick the right components for a project?

thanks in advance

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread but I wonder how many people would be prepared, in the current political climate, to blindly teach you and all subsequent readers how to set off explosives on a forum like this.