Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Have all the UPS makers switched to no consumer battery replacement?

I've used APC UPS for years and they had the battery behind an easily opened door making battery replacement easy. Suddenly, in about 2019, such units seem to have been "upgraded" to "no serviceable parts inside." Although there are independent online videos shoring how to do get the case open and DIY, I tried that and wound up making matters worse. Now, with a new fully charged Duracell battery installed, instead of just beeping it won't turn on at all!

I checked out CyberPower as an alternative. They don't say it directly, but my guess is they're just like APC since the provided photos don't show the back.

Looks like they whole industry has gone to planned obsolescence!

Can anyone here confirm or deny this? Any way out of the box? Hate to see the landfills filling up with more electronic junk!

I was not aware of this, so went on APC's site to look at a modern equivalent of one I bought a long time ago, and they sell a replacement battery for it so I must conclude it is serviceable. Their linked manual also shows the battery hatch on the back.
https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-ES-8-Outlet-550VA-120V/P-BE550G

Edit: Just checked a 2nd one, manual also shows a battery hatch.
https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/Back-UPS-850VA-2-USB-charging-ports/P-BE850G2

Which ones are you seeing that aren't serviceable? Their tiny ones using Li-Ion battery for a modem/etc, wouldn't surprise me if sealed and intended as non-serviceable.

Thanks, Dave. Actually, the one that needs to be replacement is BN450M, purchased in 2018 as I recall. Battery is not available from APC and manual says it's not user replaceable.
Looking for one that is user-replaceable, I turned my focus to one I've used for my laptop for much longer, a BE350R. When searched at the APC site, I'm directed instead to BE350RW, which is not user replaceable.
The one you cite, BE550G2, is overkill since it's for my security camera DVR, basically a little Linux box. Guess I should keep looking.
BTW, the BE450G-LM and -CA are both discontinued.

Last edited:
May be that the ones that use SLA batteries have replaceable batteries, and the ones that use Li-Ion do not. With all the Chinese counterfeit Li-Ion batteries on the market, there is likely a liability/fire hazard that the manufacturers don't want to deal with.

If you're using them often enough to wear them out in 3 years, it seems like it would be worth getting one that's overkill just for long term cost savings from being able to replace the battery. I mean you can get the BE550G for around $60 on sale or $75 otherwise, then just a standard 7Ah to 8Ah 12V battery for it is around $20 (give or take, not sure if covid has caused small SLA battery shortages). No need to get the battery from APC.

The new BE550G works great, as expected.

This morning I took the BE350R to Batteries Plus to see if they could make it work. Turned out the battery was fine but the unit itself was bad. So, I'll buy another BE550G.

Makes one wonder if there's anyone in the Electronics Forum who might know how to track down the failed component and replace it. I've done this sort of thing before with the help of EP and other forums.

Most are designed for throw away....one of the things one has to get used to.
No service information and no parts, some even deliberately remove any sign of active component detail.
Units are commonly built as OEM and in modular form which makes things even worse to decypher.