Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hacking Pro Tools

For a few months now I've been picking away at a Mackie HUI enabled wifi recording light for our recording studio. It's built on an Adafruit Feather running an ESP8266. I've been using applemid and rtp-Midi to transmit and it's working out quite well, but it's slow going every step of the way. This morning while driving into work it dawned on me that I might be making this way harder than it has to be.

So, rather than fiddling with applemidi/rtp-Midi, HUI, Lathoubs Arduino software, callbacks, templates etc.. Why not just poke around in the Pro Tools executable memory? Try to find the portions in memory where variables such as 'record armed' or 'tape rolling' are stored. Then just read from there, and transmit to the micro controller via wifi. In my feeble mind, this almost seems too good to be true.

Other than the obvious; base pointer changing every update, are there any glaring problems with this technique?

How do I start scanning memory on an apple computer? Then, how do I go about finding the base offset pointers once I've found what I'm looking for? I see some memory scanning software for mac but is there a preferred method that people like? A particular software that works better for tracing back to base pointers?