Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Generator/Inverter repair

I have a Powerhouse PH3100Ri generator with no A/C output at receptacle. The stator output voltage is 300v on all legs. When I plug the stator into the inverter the engine will not run. It will start at very low rpm and then die. The D/C output is fine when the stator is unplugged from the inverter.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Daryl

Sounds like a short circuit on the input of the inverter. If the component parts are accessible (more often they are embedded in epoxy so almost impossible to service) then check the main rectifier(s).

Thanks for the reply. I checked the input terminals on the inverter and I see no resistance between terminals or to inverter case.

I checked the input terminals on the inverter and I see no resistance between terminals or to inverter case.

You may need a low ohm tester as a multimeter will not show that low a value.
Then you may need to disassemble and test the windings with a growler.

Garantee the Inverter block is faulty Same thing hapened to one of my inverter generators. I eventualy found a generator in the scrap yard with a engine that threw con rod. Used its inverter to get mine going again.

Garantee the Inverter block is faulty Same thing hapened to one of my inverter generators. I eventualy found a generator in the scrap yard with a engine that threw con rod. Used its inverter to get mine going again.
Exactly what I was afraid of! Let the parts hunting begin:(. Thanks

Exactly what I was afraid of! Let the parts hunting begin:(. Thanks
Can you post a picture of the inverter module?

As with many switched-mode type circuits, capacitor faults are high on the 'problem' list and since some of them stick out above the epoxy filling you can (1) spot the faulty capacitor (bulging/cracked top) and (2) 'dig' them out and replace them as you can get access to the leads through the body of the capacitor itself.

The small capacitors look OK. One of the large ones seems to have a bulged end.

I am a new user. How do I attach pictures?

Certainly might look that way.
More definitively . . . . . .has it split right at the very center of that stamp distressed metal triad apex ? , and can you get a very small gauge pin / needle down into the crack ?
If so, you have lost sealing, along with electrolyte and a resultant dry out and severe drop in effective overall capacitance . . . . possibly, it now only being mere micro farads.
No potting visible . . . as far as i can see downwards in your photo . . . . possibly its only having a THICK conformal coating on the board . . .Ug g g g g g gh !
Go get em, tiger !

OOPSIES ! . . . . . .looks like it is being potted city . . . .

69326-1.jpg

I see at least 5 E-caps and possibly two more to the side of the laid on its side unit.

Last edited:
Are there sites that sell used generator/inverter parts? Can these inverters show up on different manufacturers units?

I find most generators that are thrown out have failed inverters not engines. Out of all ivefound in the scrap yard there was only one with a good inverter. But check on ebay as there is ocasionaly an inverter for sale second hand, personaly i wouldnt risk buying one.

Sadly the pics don't help - I thought it might be possible to see something I recognised as a potential problem however the iniquitous black 'gunk' has always thwarted such efforts.

Looks like you're going to be seeking a replacement part.

As for a comment about inference of unreliability, I now have three IG's and they have worked reliably for three years (so far). Like any item, if they are used properly they rarely go wrong.

If anyone, anywhere has a schematic of one of these IG electronics modules it would be interesting to see one.