Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Forum Upgraded!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I've made links in text Orange now - is that any easier?

I hate to be a traditionalist, but can you make them underlined (or even blue and underlined). I love the highlight when you hover, but maintaining a defacto standard is only going to benefit new members who may not know what orange text means. Look here. Vs look here.

I have noticed also that if I post a link to the LED tutorial it comes up as just a link and not the text of the article. Have we lost that?

https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/got-a-question-about-driving-leds.256849/

Two things, both similar.
On the old system it was easy to tell which section had new posts and which didn't (dimmed vs bold) now there doesn't appear to be a change.
Also on the old system when logging in only the new posts (not unread, only new) were bolded, again making it easier to tell what was new, now it appears that it only takes the marker away once the thread has been read, it doesn't clear when logging out/back in again.

Not huge problems just a feature I really liked, most of the time if I didn't read a thread before I still won't, so just showing me which threads have been updated since the last time I logged in was a really nice feature that you don't see everywhere.

Ian

Administrator
On the old system it was easy to tell which section had new posts and which didn't (dimmed vs bold) now there doesn't appear to be a change.

It's still there, but uses a different method :). If you look at the forum categories on the main page, there should be a little blue dot between the icon and title when there is a new post in that section.

Also on the old system when logging in only the new posts (not unread, only new) were bolded, again making it easier to tell what was new, now it appears that it only takes the marker away once the thread has been read, it doesn't clear when logging out/back in again.

There's not a way to get than functionality back unfortunately, as we only had that method of thread marking for performance reasons on the old software... however there are some workarounds. The first is to click the new posts link as normal, and then anything above the line marked "Threads below this have not been updated since your last visit but have unread messages" is since you last logged in. Alternatively, you can just use the recent posts link to just view everything.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
Hi Chris,

If you have a screenshot or log of the data, I'd be grateful if you could PM it to me so I can take a look :).

Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian,

It happened again after navigating to EP. I attached the screen shot of the Norton alert here because I haven't figured out how to attach to PM's yet.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• NortonAlert.png
    NortonAlert.png
    28 KB · Views: 148

CDRIVE

Hi Ian,

It happened again after navigating to EP. I attached the screen shot of the Norton alert here because I haven't figured out how to attach to PM's yet.

Thanks,
Chris

Follow-up: I found an IE add-on (PasswordBox Helper) that would not permit me to disable it. I didn't install this add-on, so I don't know how it got there. The PasswordBox Helper may or may not be malicious in itself but may be being used by other malicious programs or internet worms.

I uninstalled it! I hope the issue ends here.

Chris

Ian

Administrator
Yes, that looks like a separate application (if you didn't install it, I'd run a full Norton scan to be safe!) rather than anything connected to this site - although perhaps it links in to website password entries, which is why it co-incidentally appeared. Glad you got it sorted :).

Hi Ian,
Its grumpy me again.
The speed also affects the display when typing in. I am not the sharpest but I can get several letters in before they are displayed. When editing it is a pain if the pointer takes a couple of seconds to move, I will have to learn to count.

I have now tried to attach a bitmap image .bmp but it tells me that it is not an approved type. What types are accepted?

Duke37

Ian

Administrator
That's a strange one, which browser are you using and I'll see if I can replicate it :). Can you try changing the editor mode for me please (the top right text editor button that looks like a spanner on paper icon) - this will simplify the text entry box and may point us in the right direction for sorting it.

With regards to BMP files, they're not an ideal filetype to use as they're extremely big in comparison to other image formats. JPG or PNG would be the best filetypes to use, but if you really need BMP support then it's something I can add (I'd strongly suggest avoiding it though as it's not well supported in browsers (here's a nice chart showing image format support).

Hi Ian

This is the rich text editor and seems to run as fast as I can type - if I backspace to make a korekshun, it is instant.
Will rich text do greek letters? µ is OK.

I am using MS Internet Explorer without addons.

The reason for the bitmap file was that that is the only file type which the circuit diagram program would save. I have converted it with Irfanview to both JPG and PNG and will see if I can reply to the thread.

The county council here is promoting superfast broadband, this is most annoying to me since my feed is too slow to get video. I will have to do a bit of jumping up and down!

Thank you for all the work you have put in to help us plebs.
Duke37

Reactions: Ian
Hi,
The new forum software is refreshing especially the login ribbon. I hated the previous software where login takes completely to another page.
What was the previous software the site used?

Ian

Administrator
Hi,
The new forum software is refreshing especially the login ribbon. I hated the previous software where login takes completely to another page.
What was the previous software the site used?

Thanks Anish - we used to use vBulletin 3.8 :)

As long as you ask for comments
I agree with Steve that links are better in Blue or Blue as that is standard.
Also, blue shows much better on the screen than the orange which is a bit washed out.
In defense of orange: something different is a bit refreshing.

In the way back machine when Norton was the only game in town, our company computers all ran it and we called Norton AV the Virus you pay for.

Ian

Administrator
I hate to be a traditionalist, but can you make them underlined (or even blue and underlined). I love the highlight when you hover, but maintaining a defacto standard is only going to benefit new members who may not know what orange text means. Look here. Vs look here.

I have noticed also that if I post a link to the LED tutorial it comes up as just a link and not the text of the article. Have we lost that?

https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/got-a-question-about-driving-leds.256849/

Sorry Steve, I missed this post the first time around and only saw it after k7sparky mentioned it. I'll have a play around and see if there's anything I can do to solve the link conundrum - at first I really liked the orange, but it doesn't work well when it appears in the orange quote box.

With regards to the links being re-written to the thread title - the new software doesn't have that feature (yet!), but there's quite a bit of support for it on their suggestions list, so perhaps we'll see it soon!

As long as you ask for comments
I agree with Steve that links are better in Blue or Blue as that is standard.
Also, blue shows much better on the screen than the orange which is a bit washed out.
In defense of orange: something different is a bit refreshing.

In the way back machine when Norton was the only game in town, our company computers all ran it and we called Norton AV the Virus you pay for.

Welcome back k7sparky, I'm going to have a little test with the link colours now and see what I can do :).

CDRIVE

I sure wish this new software included scientific / engineering symbols and subscript, superscript ability. On the other hand the membership (including me) are here free of charge, so I ain't bitch'n......just say'n. :D

Chris

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Noticed the blue links. They stand out a lot better - especially against an orange background.

My fear has been that people will fail to see links (which is more of a problem when they are re-written). This change gives you little excuse.

Can you please add a couple things in users accounts?

In other groups or fourms i belong to there is sections in my user account where i can click and it will show all posts i made and or all threads i started. This is a lot easier to find or track those threads a member has replied to or started and see the outcome of that thread.

Thanks

davenn

Can you please add a couple things in users accounts?

In other groups or fourms i belong to there is sections in my user account where i can click and it will show all posts i made and or all threads i started. This is a lot easier to find or track those threads a member has replied to or started and see the outcome of that thread.

Thanks

that is already there :)

look in the recent activity and postings tabs

Dave

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
I sure wish this new software included scientific / engineering symbols and subscript, superscript ability. On the other hand the membership (including me) are here free of charge, so I ain't bitch'n......just say'n. :D

Funnily enough, I added subscript and superscript just the other day - although I haven't added it to the editor yet. You can use these tags to do it manually:

Code:
[sub] 123 [/sub]
[sup] 123 [/sup]

Test: H2O :)

Which sorts of engineering symbols would you like to see, and I'll see if there's a way to add it.

Another way of accessing the info is to click the "your content" button in the user menu (just hover over your usename menu button on the top right of every page) :).