Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fixing a vintage Tek 465M scope: Bad HV multiplier

My Tek 465M scope HV multiplier has died and I am looking to build (or possibly buy) a replacement, but am confused as to its required specs.

The HV transformer has a measured ~2.4 KV output to the HV multiplier connection - that is when disconnected from it. The service manual circuit diagram shows the U550 HV box with a X3 multiplier in it. Elsewhere I read that the CRT needs 12-15 KV? and in another place I read that the multiplier is a X6. To further muddy the waters, the NTE538 multiplier is quoted as a replacement but the spec sheet for that unit describes it as a tripler with an input of 12 KV and an output of 30 KV, which calculates as a "2 and a 1/2er". Though I understand why the output may be lower than X3, it implies that with a 2.4KV input the CRT anode voltage would be only 5.6KV.

Can someone resolve these inconsistencies for me? Sometime before the multiplier was known to be bad I think I saw a DIY multiplier design for this application but now I can't find the link.

Any information to help bring this old soldier back to life will be appreciated.
MichaelB

Sir mbarret . . . . .

Well I’m certainly happy with my TEKS models 465, 475 and 466 Storage and 454 and a Lil Tek/Sony 314.
Fortunately, with my never having had any HV failures on any of them.
IF you can now /still even find any HV blocks of that units particular . . . .

HV Module / multiplier ,
Murata MSL8521
152-0635-00
Do expect a pretty price.

My repair choice would be to go with one particular version of the multitude of HV blocks used on
days of past for Tee Wee kine tubes.
To wit the NTE 538
Still being available in fierce quantities, since LCD technology obsoleted kines and their HV supplies.

http://dilp.netcomponents.com/cgi-bin/nteinc.asp?partnumber1=NTE538

Here is a drop in procedure using one HV diode and 1 or two ceramic HV caps along with one of
those ‘538’s.
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96958

From OLD to NEW

BbcodTf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BbcodTf.jpg

Thasssit

73’s de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:
My Tek 465M scope HV multiplier has died and I am looking to build (or possibly buy) a replacement, but am confused as to its required specs.

The HV transformer has a measured ~2.4 KV output to the HV multiplier connection - that is when disconnected from it. The service manual circuit diagram shows the U550 HV box with a X3 multiplier in it. Elsewhere I read that the CRT needs 12-15 KV? and in another place I read that the multiplier is a X6. To further muddy the waters, the NTE538 multiplier is quoted as a replacement but the spec sheet for that unit describes it as a tripler with an input of 12 KV and an output of 30 KV, which calculates as a "2 and a 1/2er". Though I understand why the output may be lower than X3, it implies that with a 2.4KV input the CRT anode voltage would be only 5.6KV.

Can someone resolve these inconsistencies for me? Sometime before the multiplier was known to be bad I think I saw a DIY multiplier design for this application but now I can't find the link.

Any information to help bring this old soldier back to life will be appreciated.
MichaelB

Hi Michael:

Have you find some solution? I have a 465M with the same problem.

Regards!