Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ESP8266 (esp-07) powered by battary(s) for at least 1 year

Hey all I am trying to see how long I can possibly have a ESP8266 ESP-07 operate with only 1 or 2 of the Lithium Ion Battery 18650 Cell which claims to have 2600mAh.

I am making a window alarm sensor and I'm looking to incorporate a window reed switch in order to check it's status via the ESP8266 and if its opened (meaning the window is not closed) then send something via WIFI to a REST service. Likewise, if the reed switch is not opened (meaning the window is fully shut) then sleep.

The flow with only ESP-07 would look something like this:
1: Power up for the first time.
2: Send Date/Time, window closed or opened, etc.. via ESP-07 WIFI to the REST service.
3: Have the ESP-07 go into deep sleep mode.
4: Wake up from sleep after 1 minute.
5: Check window reed switch.
6: If reed switch is open then send REST service via ESP-07 WIFI.
7: Goes back into deep sleep mode.
8: Loop back to #4.

The flow with ESP-07 & ATTiny85 would look something like this:
1: Power up ESP-07/ATTiny85 for the first time.
2: Send Date/Time, window closed or opened, etc.. via ESP-07 WIFI to the REST service.
3: Have the ESP-07 go into deep sleep mode.
4: Have ATTiny85 check every 30 seconds for window reed switch status.
5: If reed switch is open then send REST service via ESP-07 WIFI.
6: ESP-07 goes back into deep sleep mode.
7: Loop back to #4.

It would seem that using the ESP8266 along side an ATTiny85 would make it last longer since I could check the status of the reed switch via the ATTiny85 and if it see the window closed then pause and check it again in 1 minute. If the ATTiny85 does see the reed switch opened then start up the ESP8266 and send the info via WIFI then go back into deep sleep. However, I am not sure how this would be on the battery side of things - if it would be less or same or more.

I'm looking to see how long 1 and/or 2 of the Lithium Ion Battery's would last (in days) with using just the ESP-07 and also using both the ESP-07 and the ATTiny85 as explained above.

I've done some googling and found a few websites that show how to put the ESP-07 into deep sleep mode but really wouldn't say how long it would take with my setup above. Most were using standard AA or AAA batteries.

The overall goal is: Have the window alarm power last at least 1 year.

The items:

yZhs3.png

The battery ESP-07 consumption chart I found:

CvAzf.jpg

Datasheets:
Lithium Ion Battery 18650 Cell
ATTiny85
Window Reed Switch (Generic) or Mouser (Generic)
ESP8266 ESP-07

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
You may be able to completely remove power from the ESP module when it's not needed. The attiny could switch a MOSFET to turn it on.

Ah just found this youtube video(s). Seems just what I am looking to do. Thoughts?

Original video:

Feedback (updates) from the above original video:

So if his setup lasts a long time on CR2032 with 240uA batteries then I'm guessing a 1000uA+ would last even longer than that?

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I don't think you meant what you said, but If you mean what I think then you're right.