Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electrolytic capacitor identification

This capacitor in my Garmin 551dv fishfinder blew and I need help identifying it and possibly where to get a new one.

Attachments

• 1518808787172987143306.jpg
    1518808787172987143306.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 133
While I have not identified the exact cap from my previous searches I agree with @hevans1944

405 is likely a dat code 05 month of 2004
220 is likely 220uF
50Z is going to be 50volts and then Z will either be a tolerance or series indicator

While I dont disagree with you, i have no way of finding that out. I want to believe it could have happened due excessive heat, ut is in a black case in direct sunlight or it could jave happened when i had to jumpstart my boat. But for the 88 cents plus shipping i will gladly replace it and see.

Yes, it goes right near where the power cable connects, right where im pointing with the screwdriver, you can see the burn mark on the casing too.

The adjacent inductor points to an SMPS-derived supply onboard - quite common - and blown capacitors are a definite problem in some designs so your fault could just be pertinent to the design but the severity of the failure is quite surprising.

If/when you change it I'd recommend powering up with the lid off and letting it run for a good few hours to make sure there isn't something else amiss.