Maker Pro
Maker Pro

For Sale: Electrial Engineer's entire Lab; equipment, instruments & components

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello: (I'm new here, my hopes are to follow forum rules so please let me know if I am off base)

A dear friend of mine passed away recently. Jim, an Electrical Engineer, Scientist, and Electrical Geek as we all are :) left behind a personal at home lab chocked full of equipment, instruments, tools (soldering etc.), and enumerable Electrical & electronic components.

I am attempting to help one of his loved ones who is responsible for his personal possessions. They would like to sell everything in one shot. I attempted to go thru everything and I have a list/pictures of instruments (scopes, meters) and equipment (power supplies, variac) but I did not have enough time (the stuff is in Illinois & I am in upper WI) to go through all the components (resistors, capacitors, coils, semi-conductors, I.C.'s, etc.). Everything is in like new / great condition as Jim always took good care of his possessions. There is some older Heath Kit stuff.

Is anyone interested? Is this the appropriate place to post?
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to selling all this at once it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
John

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Go ahead and post the list. I think it's unlikely you'll sell it all at once unless it's to someone who intends to on sell it (and pay you a relatively small price).

The components may be individually with almost nothing up to quite a bit. Unless you're prepared to go through it, or he left a very good list, you'll have a harder time with this.

Okay, Thank you Steve.

Attached is a list of the equipment/instruments, I put some prices out there just as a suggestion. We will work on putting a components list together
There is also a Tektronix Type 576 Curve Tracer that is not listed/pictured.

Attachments

• stuffForSaleRev01.pdf
    283.9 KB · Views: 154
To Steve's point, a smaller price for all the components is acceptable as it needs to be sold sooner than later. The parts although general were focused to a large degree to RF projects (Rife Technology). So there are chokes, coils, transformers, etc. as well as the capacitors, resistors, connectors, lugs, shrink tube... everything you would expect in an electronics/electrical lab. Most all are sorted in bins some stuff is in boxes and tubes

In my cursory review of everything I'm thinking everything would be in excess of $10K if one were to go out and purchase the items new. There is a lot of stuff!
I think the person taking care of Jim's stuff would accept far far less than that...

I realize more information is needed on the items and I am in the process of obtaining that info and when I do I will post it.

~ Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless.
– Thomas Edison ~

Just a thought, perhaps completely wrong, but I suspect that someone who knows what to do with all those small parts would very likely already own many or most of the big-ticket items, and wouldn't be inclined to offer a lot for the lot. Perhaps selling the more expensive and easily-priced items on EBay, and taking all the small stuff to a ham radio get-together, selling it piecemeal or in batches?

These situations always sadden me.

The bereaved relatives are probably unaware of the value but equally can often be disappointed at the relatively low sums the sale of which may return. The only 'satisfactory' method of disposal I've ever come across is by donation to worthy causes - a local ham radio society or electronics group maybe, perhaps with stickers on the equipment mentioning the late amateur and the fact that it was donated 'in memory of'.

Unless you fnd a buyer willing to take the lot it can become a wearisome exercise to dispose of the items piecemeal and the drip, drip of income it generates does nothing to close the affairs of the deceased.

If the issue is one of essential income then you have little choice but to sell for what you can get (never what it's actually worth though...) but if it's not money as a driver then perhaps the widow may get some compassion from the thought of her late husbands memory being perpetuated via a donation? The recipients - if they are worth the donation in the first palce - should surely forward their gratitude in some other way?

My condolences to the family and best wishes for a solution to the problem.

Just a thought, perhaps completely wrong, but I suspect that someone who knows what to do with all those small parts would very likely already own many or most of the big-ticket items, and wouldn't be inclined to offer a lot for the lot. Perhaps selling the more expensive and easily-priced items on EBay, and taking all the small stuff to a ham radio get-together, selling it piecemeal or in batches?

Irv,
Thank you. I agree w/ your post. We have put the bigger ticket items on eBay. I would be interested in any Hamy organizations or get togethers anyone might know of near Door County WI. Alternativly in the NW Chicago suburbs as this is where the lions share of stuff is located.
Again Thank you,
John

These situations always sadden me.

The bereaved relatives are probably unaware of the value but equally can often be disappointed at the relatively low sums the sale of which may return. The only 'satisfactory' method of disposal I've ever come across is by donation to worthy causes - a local ham radio society or electronics group maybe, perhaps with stickers on the equipment mentioning the late amateur and the fact that it was donated 'in memory of'.

Unless you fnd a buyer willing to take the lot it can become a wearisome exercise to dispose of the items piecemeal and the drip, drip of income it generates does nothing to close the affairs of the deceased.

If the issue is one of essential income then you have little choice but to sell for what you can get (never what it's actually worth though...) but if it's not money as a driver then perhaps the widow may get some compassion from the thought of her late husbands memory being perpetuated via a donation? The recipients - if they are worth the donation in the first palce - should surely forward their gratitude in some other way?

My condolences to the family and best wishes for a solution to the problem.
kellys_eye,
Thank you too, I will forward your condolences to Jim's friend. It gets even sadder. The closest relative/family got over their bereavement rather quickly as they gutted Jim's residence taking everything (including bathroom mirrors and fixtures off walls) leaving the items of which they had no understanding.

Yes we understand the value is very low. As Jim was an advocate for higher education and benevolence we first endeavored toward donation and got no takers. The current situation is that a friend of Jim's now has responsibility for his residence including rent, sale prep costs etc. I am trying to do whatever I can to help relieve at least some of the financial burdens. The family is not interested in helping.

The friend of Jim's is not looking to make a bundle but in some way, as you stated in your post, perpetuate Jim's work and the much help he had given others. He was an Electrical Engineer, researcher, and I would go as far to say he was a scientist involved in Bio-Energetic Systems and Technologies. A big part of his work was recreating the work of Royal Rife an American Inventor. He was researching, developing, engineering and building Rife Machines and other equipment endeavoring to help people with Lyme Disease, Cancer and other related co-infections.

His heart was to help others.
In closing I will say the friend is getting me pictures of what is left. I will post them and continue to look for possibilities as Jim's friend needs to empty and sell Jim's residence.

kellys_eye.. your final sentence in your post struck somewhat hard...
Jim named himself & his work Best Solutions of which you used both words in closing.
Coincidental?... I think not.. May Jim's benevolent spirit inspire us all.
http://whatislyme.com/jim-berger-rest-in-peace-6182017/

Peace,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.