Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Does the TDA2030 need negative potential?

If you apply dual supply topology then your signal gets amplified between +Vcc and -Vee.
Correct.
In case of single supply the amplification is between +Vcc/2 and -Vcc/2.
I disagree. The amplification is between +Vcc and 0V.

Also, many car amplifiers are single supply and are bridged for almost 4 times the output power of a single amplifier. Since each speaker wire is driven and each is at half the supply voltage then an output coupling capacitor is not needed to block the DC.

Correct.

I disagree. The amplification is between +Vcc and 0V.

Also, many car amplifiers are single supply and are bridged for almost 4 times the output power of a single amplifier. Since each speaker wire is driven and each is at half the supply voltage then an output coupling capacitor is not needed to block the DC.
I agree , I meant to say that for example if you are using 12 volts the amplification will be between +6 volts

Take an LM386 little amplifier IC and power it from 12VDC and 0V. Its maximum output into an 8 ohm speaker is not 12V peak-to-peak, instead it has voltage losses that are shown on a graph in its datasheet as a typical maximum peak-to-peak of only about 6.5V, not 12V. Since the voltage swing is less then the current swing is also less so the actual output power is almost only 1/4 as much as you think.

Attachments

• LM386 output voltage swing.png
    LM386 output voltage swing.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 3
If the Pk - Pk is only 6.5V then O/P power is only ((6.5 / 2) * 0.707) / R times the first part of the sum which equates to 1.32Watts into 8Ω at 12V supply.

With an LM386 amplifier driving an 8 ohm speaker and a 12V supply, the speaker peak-to-peak voltage swing is +3.25V to -3.25V.

Yeah maybe is obsolete but is for sure one of the best APA chips ever made.
This chip with +/- 18V gives the best results but if you don't have such a trafo then you can try
single power supply with 24V,check this...
2011811223154844.gif

The datasheet for the old TDA2030A has specifications with a +/-16V supply so that it does not overheat. Only 10W into 8 ohms is guaranteed but 12W is typical with 0.5% distortion. The datasheet shows two bridged TDA2030A ICs typically producing 34W into 8 ohms at probably 0.5% distortion with a +/-16V supply.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
The problem with Class D amplifiers is, they come in surface mount package whereas I need a through hole package that I can solder with soldering iron. I don't have a blowing gun.
You can buy circuit-board adapters that accept surface mount ICs and fan their leads out to through-hole pads. It is fairly easy to "drag solder" the surface mount component onto the adapter using an ordinary soldering tip and perhaps a head-mounted magnifier. Google for YouTube videos on how to do this. I did it with a 6-pin PIC that came in an SMD package, but later I ordered the same PIC in a DIP configuration, which made bread-boarding sooo much easier.