Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Does the TDA2030 need negative potential?

Hi Everyone,

Do TDA2030 needs negative voltage also?

I mean if I use a rectifier for 12 v, I have to pass +12v and -12v to TDA2030 for proper audio amplification?

thanks

The datasheet for the old obsolete TDA2030 says its minimum supply is 12V when it barely works. Its spec's are with a 28V supply.
Your rectified 12V-0-12V produces +16V which can power the TDA2030 IC then its max output power is shown on a graph as 2.1W into an 8 ohm speaker.

The datasheet for the old obsolete TDA2030 says its minimum supply is 12V when it barely works. Its spec's are with a 28V supply.
Your rectified 12V-0-12V produces +16V which can power the TDA2030 IC then its max output power is shown on a graph as 2.1W into an 8 ohm speaker.
Hi,

But, it is not even outputting 2.1 w. it is outputting somewhere between 0.25 w and 0.5 w max.

davenn

Right, but there is no need for a split supply. It will work properly from a single supply, which is what the op asked about. ;)

well that's debateable as he asked about a negative supply ;)
It will work so much better on a split rail supply

and also to the OP @rahulb his 12V single rail is just way too low

I told you that if you power the TDA2030 from the rectified 16V that feeds the 12V regulator then the output power will be 2.1W.
5W is only a little louder than 2W.
The datasheet shows 5W into 8 ohms at low distortion when the supply is 22V and is 6W when the supply is 24V.
Why not use a supply of 32V then the output power into 8 ohms at low distortion will be 12W.

Really, linear audio amps are pretty much obsolete.

For $16 I got a class D amp that can produce an honest 25 W into 8 Ohms at 22V. I use it at 16V and get 16 W. It barely gets warm at that level.

And all of this using about 1/2 the power a linear amp would use.

Bob

On another website today a Bluetooth speaker is using a TDA7492 modern class-D bridged stereo amplifier IC. It produces 25W per channel with low distortion into 8 ohm speakers when its supply is 25V. But it is in a surface-mount 36 pins case. Most Chinese companies sell it already assembled.

On another website today a Bluetooth speaker is using a TDA7492 modern class-D bridged stereo amplifier IC. It produces 25W per channel with low distortion into 8 ohm speakers when its supply is 25V. But it is in a surface-mount 36 pins case. Most Chinese companies sell it already assembled.

The problem with Class D amplifiers is, they come in surface mount package whereas I need a through hole package that I can solder with soldering iron. I don't have a blowing gun.

davenn

Really, linear audio amps are pretty much obsolete.

For $16 I got a class D amp that can produce an honest 25 W into 8 Ohms at 22V. I use it at 16V and get 16 W. It barely gets warm at that level.

The problem with obsolete TDA2030 amplifier ICs is that they are not used anymore and are not made anymore.

OK guys enough !

Regardless of it the TDA2030 is obsolete or not, the OP HAS one of them. Lets be constructive in helping him get the circuit going !

Dave

How big is the transformer you are using i.e. what is its current capability, how many amps. Also, can you measure the static output voltage with respect to 0V.
Just had a proper look at your schematic. Connect the 2030 power supply directly to the rectified and smoothed supply.

Maybe Rahulb cannot read the datasheet because it is also not available anymore. The datasheet tells him that his supply voltage is too low.