Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Digital building mapping

Hi guys..
I have something creative to work out but don't know from where to start..
I want to make one sensor radar type, which can be used create digital 3d maps of buildings...
:confused:

Search for 3d laser scanners. The principle is very simple and can be worked out from the description. It is also possible with normal light. Basically its to do with projecting patterns and calculating the features based on the distortion.

Creating a 3d model from sensor is not the basics, in fact it's quite complex... If you want basics you might want to rewind and start at the basics, not start with something so complex...

davenn

Creating a 3d model from sensor is not the basics, in fact it's quite complex... If you want basics you might want to rewind and start at the basics, not start with something so complex...

true, the units the company I work for sell them for in excess of $40,000 and produce a direct image output to a computer

so I seriously doubt that you could produse something very cheaply or without a good understanding of electronics, imaging and processor programming

Dave

Last edited:
Start with what, electronics? Start with learning the basic components and how they work, basically electronics 101 stuff...

As for starting with you 3D imagine you will need to lay down a foundation from the ground up, as well as learn software programming, in addition to things like 'image' processing and a bunch of physics and math stuff as well... That is of course is the abbreviated list, it's a complex science to create a 3D scanner, certainly not for the faint of heart...

But, you might have fun playing around with a lower cost system like that found at http://www.david-laserscanner.com