Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Detecting bullet not normal way

Hi all,

I am trying to make a gun target that stads back up when shot but then i started thinking out of the box. Instead of hitting a physical target i was going to have a laser cut steel ring with a copper coil behind it and when the bullet passes through it changes the field and ca detect current.
However a bullet out of a .22 or so is lead and wont work as it isnt magetic. Any one got an idea of detecting a bullet passing through a ring. Or would lead still change electric field enough to detect.
Thanks all open to ideas here.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I was thinking along the lines of a rubber sheet stretched behind the target. With 4 transducers (one on each corner) you could detect a bullet by the shock wave reaching each transducer. The relative delays should make it possible to locate the position the bullet struck.

A bit like seismography!

Place in Canada makes the Chrony Model F1, widely available in US, last time I checked they sold for about $80 US. It not only detects the bullet (optically), it'll give
you the speed of the bullet. Just an idea.
Most circuits that do what you want, use optics.
Your original idea of a target that stands up again is practical and I've seen some store-bought versions available. Spring-loaded hinge. You hit the target, it goes down,
then springs back up.
Good luck with whatever you try.

All good ideas, i want to add things that are useless really as a tin can can be a target but its fun to make something. What are the price of a transducer. Is the read time of an arduino quick enough for something like this do you think

I'm not sure I understand the question.
If you're talking about an optical detector circut, the components are not all that
expensive. Why don't you try Googling the idea you're working on, until you find
something that looks similar to what you want to do.
People here can offer better advice when you nail-down more exactly which direction
you want to take this project.