Maker Pro
Maker Pro

crackling on DECT cordless phones, is this a registration problem?

I had a Panasonic KX-TG1033s cordless phone on which the base station became flooded and stopped charging its handset a few years ago. So we carried on using the external handsets for charging, which worked OK for a few years.. Then the problems began when we moved the units from a wood-framed singlefamily house to another home, - a 1980s apartment building. I figured either the corroding from the flood which destroyed the base station charging circuits has now (eg) got into pots all over the whole circuit board OR the new home cant handle a 1.9 GHz setup? The whole phone system crackled and gave awful range, as little as 20ft if there is an apartment dividing wall in between!

So I bought a new base station yesterday and got one new handset. Panasonictold me to de-register and re-register all the handsets which got all of them to link up but possibly not actually work properly. The range is terrible and the person being rung reports that they crackle like mad all the time. (All phones report no problem with battery charge state)

Is the real situation that these similar units from the same manufacturer with different features all have the same basic circuitry and in reality allgive the same performance anyway? And that the real problem may be that some homes handle 1.9 better while other homes handle 2.4 or 5.8, - or even 900MHz better? We have in fact used a half dozen different phones in this apartment over the years and NONE have worked as badly as this 1.9GHz Panasonic.

Or is this new one possibly (Panasonic says) just another lousy base station!

more likely then new building has metal studs in the wall - there is

nothing you can do about it.

But what does that mean in practice? That i have identified that no 1.9 GHz phone will ever work so I cant use any Panasonic DECT?

And the awful crackling happens when i am five feet from the base station in direct line-of-sight?

G

George Herold

I had a Panasonic KX-TG1033s cordless phone on which the base station became flooded and stopped charging its handset a few years ago. So we carriedon using the external handsets for charging, which worked OK for a few years. Then the problems began when we moved the units from a wood-framed single family house to another home, - a 1980s apartment building. I figuredeither the corroding from the flood which destroyed the base station charging circuits has now (eg) got into pots all over the whole circuit board ORthe new home cant handle a 1.9 GHz setup? The whole phone system crackledand gave awful range, as little as 20ft if there is an apartment dividing wall in between!

Maybe just a bad phone line? Do you have a phone that plugs directly into the wall to try?

George H.

S

Shaun Epp

wrote in message

I had a Panasonic KX-TG1033s cordless phone on which the base station became
flooded and stopped charging its handset a few years ago. So we carried on
using the external handsets for charging, which worked OK for a few years.
Then the problems began when we moved the units from a wood-framed single
family house to another home, - a 1980s apartment building. I figured
either the corroding from the flood which destroyed the base station
charging circuits has now (eg) got into pots all over the whole circuit
board OR the new home cant handle a 1.9 GHz setup? The whole phone system
crackled and gave awful range, as little as 20ft if there is an apartment
dividing wall in between!

So I bought a new base station yesterday and got one new handset. Panasonic
told me to de-register and re-register all the handsets which got all of
them to link up but possibly not actually work properly. The range is
terrible and the person being rung reports that they crackle like mad all
the time. (All phones report no problem with battery charge state)

Is the real situation that these similar units from the same manufacturer
with different features all have the same basic circuitry and in reality all
give the same performance anyway? And that the real problem may be that some
homes handle 1.9 better while other homes handle 2.4 or 5.8, - or even
900MHz better? We have in fact used a half dozen different phones in this
apartment over the years and NONE have worked as badly as this 1.9GHz
Panasonic.

Or is this new one possibly (Panasonic says) just another lousy base
station!

DECT phones by Panasonic are usually 6Ghz frequency. I have never heard of
cordless phones on 1.9GHz

It is called DECT 6.0 but it operates in the 1.9GHz freq they say. I think the 6.0 is meaningless as few DECT devices can speak to each other, even when from the same manufacturer