Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Convert Hoverboard to RC remote control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m wanting to remove the front wheels of a four wheel utility cart and attach a hoverboard to the front underside. The hoverboard seems like the easiest route. The outcome would be to move and steer the cart by RC remote control. Is there a way to wire the receiver into the weight controlled steering functionality? The total weight would be no more than 60 pounds including the cart and objects carried.
Would appreciate guidance. Thank you. Peter

davenn

I’m wanting to remove the front wheels of a four wheel utility cart and attach a hoverboard to the front underside. The hoverboard seems like the easiest route. The outcome would be to move and steer the cart by RC remote control. Is there a way to wire the receiver into the weight controlled steering functionality? The total weight would be no more than 60 pounds including the cart and objects carried.
Would appreciate guidance. Thank you. Peter

hi and welcome

LONG before you get to the RC considerations..... do you REALLY have the fan power required to lift 60 pounds ?

pictures of the cart and the hoverboard would be a great start so we can see what you so far have

hi and welcome

LONG before you get to the RC considerations..... do you REALLY have the fan power required to lift 60 pounds ?

pictures of the cart and the hoverboard would be a great start so we can see what you so far have
Thank you Davenn. The Hype 1 hoverboard is rated up to 264 pounds capacity. I will work on getting photos.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
The Hype 1 hoverboard uses wheels, not air fans, for weight support. Watch this video.

IMHO there are far easier ways to implement an RC cart than "to remove the front wheels of a four wheel utility cart and attach a hoverboard to the front underside." Hows about attaching a pair of RC motor-wheels, i.e., wheels with integral DC motors built in as part of the wheel?

I would like to use 8 inch wheel hub motors but for some reason they are not cheap in Canada. They are on eBay but the shipping cost is a lot. I may want to make several of these so I would need to source out the motor wheels.
The cart is actually a golf push cart. I listed as utility to make it simple.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
I would like to use 8 inch wheel hub motors but for some reason they are not cheap in Canada. ...
The cost is what it is. I am sure that most golfers who are either too lazy or too out of shape to haul around their own set of golf clubs will compensate by acquiring boatloads of cash to spend on greens fees, country club memberships, and fancy golf carts. So, if you build it, someone will buy it. :cool:

... They are on eBay but the shipping cost is a lot. ...
Irrelevant. The seller (you!) just adds shipping cost to the selling price.

... I may want to make several of these so I would need to source out the motor wheels. ...
I didn't think you wanted to start manufacturing motors. You may be able to get quantity discounts.

... The cart is actually a golf push cart. I listed as utility to make it simple.
Nothing about this project will be simple, except the change from two-wheel "hoverboard" support to four-wheel "cart" support adds some credibility to the feasibility of a successful, i.e., working design. You still have to figure out how you want to remote control the two driven wheels.

Does this fancy golf cart follow the golfer around at a respectful distance? Or does the golfer or his caddy steer and control it with a radio-controlled joy stick or similar apparatus? Is there a model with an option that automagically selects the correct golf club, based on distance to the green, lay of the ball, experience of the golfer and various other important factors? Will your cart know what a Mulligan is? How to declare and play it? Answers to these questions may have serious design consequences!

How do you plan to power your contraption? I am 99 44/100% sure that no golf course will allow golf carts with internal combustion engines to pollute their pristine atmosphere and ambiance with noise and exhaust fumes. And really long electrical extension cords are probably a non-starter too. That just leaves quiet, non-polluting, fuel cells or rechargeable batteries, assuming you don't want the bother of licensing a radioactive isotope heat source to drive a thermopile, like NASA uses for long-range space missions far from the Sun's illumination. Solar power is probably not an option for you either, since it is a known fact that serious golfers will play in the rain and also during thunder storms.

So, please let us know how you intend to proceed.

Ohhhh so it doesn't really hover !! :rolleyes:
AFAIK, none of the so-called "hoverboards" actually hover. They all seem to be some variation of a two-wheeled Segway clone, now that sensors and microprocessors have advanced enough to make such things affordable to the masses. Still waiting for Mr. Fusion and anti-gravity invention to implement "Back to the Future" type hovercraft. Could be a long wait.:rolleyes:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
So, can we get this project going by purchasing a cheap Hype 1 Hoverboard and hacking it? First thing would be to rip the two halves apart and discard most of the electronics. No need for the balance sensing that keeps this contraption upright, or the weight sensing that imputably controls direction (somehow). Just need to add a couple of RC PWM motor controllers and of course a remote RC hand controller. I would also ditch the color-changing "headlights" since it is virtually impossible to play golf at night. Also ditch any Bluetooth related features, unless its related to remote control.

There should be plenty of extra room in the golf cart for a rechargeable, sealed, lead-acid (SLA) or lithium-chemistry battery. I would make the SLA battery standard since they are available everywhere, but offer the lithium battery as a high-end upgrade for an extra thousand bux or so, including the charger of course.

I quick look around the Web seems to indicate that the Hype 1 Hoverboard is now heavily cloned by Asian retailers, so a new one could be available for hacking for less than a hundred and fifty bux. You might even find a used one on eBay for less than a hundred bux to build your prototype. Good luck with this, @Peterino! I think you might have a winner here, or at the very least a fun summer project...:D

Firstly, I didn't know humor was allowed. I'm more of a pun guy myself so I will try to hover over my inbox for your response.
You bring up some very interesting ideas. The isotope idea is cool, or hot i guess...
So...I think the hoverboard idea is not practical either. I liked it because of the power wheel and steering ability, which if modified to control the steering not by feet but by remote. The wheels are on 6.5 inch on hoverboards which is probably too small.
I can see different options that could come out of this over time but for now I am trying to keep it simple. I think the single motor front wheel could be tipsy, not unlike me. Of course, small anti-tip wheels might be an easy fix; something like training wheels, or just have two front wheels. Again, this is something that would be added on to an existing cart.
What about these ideas?
-One hub motor wheel on an axle with the second unpowered wheel.
-I saw these two ideas on adding electrics to a bicycle.
The first guy has an interesting idea of adding power to the existing front wheel. Obviously coke bottle caps would not be ideal, but the idea might work.
-The second video is a motor turning a belt drive to the front wheel. Smart design.

Steering mechanism would still need to be added and all operational by remote. I think a servo and small reversible motor should work. Some of the commercial power carts have a setting to move the cart only a certain amount of distance, say 50 feet. I guess this is to keep it from leaving town on it's own.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Hmm. This thread is more than a year old, and the OP (@Peterino) only stuck around for four days, last seen lurking here on April 23, 2019 after joining this forum on April 19, 2019. That looks like a drive-by poster to me, one who moves on when they don't get the "quick solution" they need or want because they don't have time to engage in a back-and-forth dialog here in the forums. Of course the COVID-19 pandemic may also account for a lack of further activity.

I haven't yet checked out the (many) golf courses here in southwestern Florida, but it seems to me that a battery-powered electric golf-bag cart would have a huge appeal to aging golfers, who think of golf as a form of exercise, provided they don't ride on a golf cart and/or hire a caddy to carry their clubs. However, even a hand-propelled cart could be too great a burden after pushing/pulling it past the "front nine holes," so most aged golfers will probably share the cost of a golf cart with the other members of their foursome.

Anyhoo, @kretinus and @Odox, it would be better to start a new thread rather than try to revive this one. Umm, that's just my own personal opinion. Right now, I favor the "one-wheel" version of the "hoverboard" but they are a little pricey. There is an XR model that offers longer range and faster speed but either model is out of reach for my retirement budget.

Maybe someone could start a new thread on how to DIY build a one-wheel hoverboard with a rechargeable battery inside the wheel?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.