Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Control volume on PC speakers using only a pot?

I bought a set of PC speakers that have very course volume control. The quietest setting is still very loud. It uses up and down buttons not an adjustable knob you can turn.

Can I just put a pot in line with it to control the volume ?

How would you calculate what one to use? ie 1K or 10K
I assume that is all they are is just an adjustable pot?

Why not just turn down the master speaker output levels on the computer?

Slide master speaker level to zero, turn speaker up to full... Slowly raise the master volume of the computer while playing a wave file at full volume... Decide upon your max output volume and now you can trim from there using the speakers control knob...

Last edited:
the well the kids use the computer and a twist knob is easier and faster to turn down the volume

Yeah, and what I suggest doesn't interfere with that at all, in fact it supplements and supports exactly that use... Doing what I suggest will balance the speakers physical control knob with the input/ouput levels and make it a finer and smoother adjustment point for the volume, that is what you want isn't it? Once you set the PCs max output volume you don't need to tinker with it again, all control from then on can be done from the speaker knob...

What OS are you running on your computer? I'll give you step by step if I can and when you are done doing what I suggest it might click...