Maker Pro
Compilation of useful electronics software

Compilation of useful electronics software

Lavaguava submitted a new resource:

Compilation of useful electronics software (WORK IN PROGRESS, there is lots of software to add) - This resource will provide list of software that a electronics hobbyist may find useful

This list will contain sites, divided up into several categories that the average electronics hobbyist would find useful. I would appreciate suggestions on sites people have used that they found useful. This list will not include stores of components suppliers - these are contained within another resource, see here. This list will also not include sites - these can be found in another resource, see here. The list...

Read more about this resource...

Isn't this the same as Kris's resource: List of EDA packages? It makes it kind of confusing to have two resources on the same subject.
Dan
Thanks for pointing that out , I will provide a link to it in the appropriate section on the software list. However this resource will include all areas of software that an electronics hobbyist will find useful, not just EDA, I am still compiling the list, it may even include software not specifically for electronics but a hobbyist may still find it useful, for example modelling an enclosure or positioning.

You might want to put Design Spark Mechanical in there. Dev C++ and Code Blocks are for programming in C and C++... I don't know if you would want those in there or not. Vim is also kind of handy, but that's getting really off topic. :)
Dan

I agree with the addition of Code blocks. I used it to experiment with C++ before I got an Arduino. I will have a look at Dev C++. I will not add Vim for now unless I receive another request for it. Thanks for the suggestions.

I may have to scrap this resource or give the ownership to someone else (if that is possible) as I have realised I do not know enough software to make this resource useful. :(

Can I offer a suggestion? Soundcard Scope by Christian Zeitnitz.
This is an oscilloscope and a signal generator program which uses the soundcard (obviously!) for I/O.
I've found it easy and useful. Limitations;
soundcard is AC coupled, so you loose DC info.
soundcard is limited to low voltage, low impedance inputs.
There is a simple project and some notes on use at http://makezine.com/projects/sound-card-oscilloscope/ which uses this software.
There is a more complex interface circuit at http://www.instructables.com/id/PC-SOUND-CARD-SCOPE-INTERFACE-FACILITATES-DC-RESTO/

As for your not knowing enough software, surely it's up to members to submit ideas for inclusion?

Last edited:
OK, thanks Merlin 3189. I am sorry for the very late reply, I have been busy recently and have forgot to check my resources for some time. I have no experience with oscilloscopes or sound cards, I will have to trust your (and supercap2f's judging by his like) judgement.

I will add it now under miscellaneous.

Thanks,

For those interested in simulating digital circuits, CAD, signal generation etc, ABACOM Electronics in Germany has demo versions to try out at
http://www.electronic-software-shop.com
I have one of their products, Profilab Expert, which is the digital simulator.
Mine is the full retail licensed DVD version.
Unfortunately, you will need a German-English dictionary (book or online) handy as any error / system messages are in German. Generally, though, the software is great for building from pre-built modules or creating your own. Could use some discrete components, though.