Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circular?

If I had a requirement (and I do, actually) to design a small circular PCB, which software would allow me the easiest method to do so?

I've not (investigated) seen such facilities - is this a case of either not being aware they can ALL do that or that it is only available on some packages?

Interesting - thanks for those two useful links.

It does seem to illustrate that 'irregular' pcb shapes aren't part of normal board creation tools though. Both solutions in the links are all b*st*rdisations of a process rather than 'select board outline' then click-and-drag......

I suppose such programs cover the majority of normal pcb manufacture but I've not seen many square/rectangular boards these days - they nearly all have some irregularity about them and a curve - even of it extends to a complete circle - seems to be a missing function.

I'm leaning towards Kicad as my preferred tool so may as well start there! The ability to import an irregular shape from a drawing program then convert it to an element (pcb) allows for any shape whatsoever without too much complication.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
A few years ago we had a thread on a flashlight application that used a circular PCB that fit neatly into the base of the flashlight. Unfortunately, the project was a failure but the circular PCB was successful. The main problem that I see is routing the circular board outline after the traces are fabricated. Surely this is just some standard G-Code sent to the CNC router, but I have no idea what the details are.

One member of another site made a couple up for me using Eagle I believe, My Kicad did not appear to allow it.
My board was similar in style to a large Washer 2" in dia.
M.

PADS (now a part of Mentor) allows irregular pcb outline shapes, including circles, obrounds, etc. Internally, it is the same closed line engine that is used for copper pours.

ak

A few years ago we had a thread on a flashlight application that used a circular PCB that fit neatly into the base of the flashlight. Unfortunately, the project was a failure but the circular PCB was successful. The main problem that I see is routing the circular board outline after the traces are fabricated. Surely this is just some standard G-Code sent to the CNC router, but I have no idea what the details are.

That was the PCB I designed for Jeff. I used DIPTRACE for that design.
Cheers
Adam

Hi KE.
Although this thread has grown a beard already, did you come right with the circular board?
Playing around with Diptrace, the easiest method I found is:
[1] create a standard square / rectangular board using 'board outline' icon.
[2] right-click the outline then from the 'pop-up' menu select 'circular'
[3] enter your required radius of board

note:
This was simply creating the blank PCB itself - I must still try creating a PCB from a schematic and see if it will auto-arrange and auto-route {on circular shape}- don't forsee any problems, as long as PCB has enough real eastate to fit all components. C.

Last edited:
I'm trying (not yet succeeded :cool: ) on settling on a PCB design software package rather than using multiple versions for individual tasks. As such I'm not certain whether Diptrace (which I haven't a copy of .... yet) does everything I feel may be required of my design work.

I'd like to use Kicad for its versatility and open-source aspect but it seems to be getting too 'big' (i.e. complicated) which I find off-putting.

I used to use a program that did nothing but allow you to place a pad (from a limited selection) and drag tracks (of limited width) where you wanted. None of this auto-routing business or a gazillion parameters that have to be set (like 16 different values for a pad FFS!). OK, modern boards probably require all that faffing about but my needs are simple (like me :D ).

Diptrace - from how you describe the simple functionality (at least for circular pcbs) - seems ideal. I really must get around to getting a copy and having a go. Thanks for the input and reminder...... wish I had the time to address these issues properly but another branch of business that I went in to has really taken off recently (publicity of it in five national newspapers came as a surprise and, as a result, has overtaken all my other projects ATM). Such is life...... <sigh>

I'd like to use Kicad for its versatility and open-source aspect but it seems to be getting too 'big' (i.e. complicated) which I find off-putting.

I believe you can get the older build version still, I use this because one of my work PC's is Win XP prof. also the latter ver will not run on XP.
Actually I prefer to use the older version to the latest on my Win10 PC.
M.

I wonder if any of the packages would let you define a square board and not complain when you decided to have really large corner radii that left the straight portions between them ridiculously short, like 1mm. :D