Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cheaper cars?

Not sure where I should really post this question as it's hybrid.

Why bother with a steering column on a car at all? remove the steering wheel, clutch, break, making lots of leg room and less hardware, then instead have an array of sensors (double of everything) to watch where your feet move, like the Wii and PS3/Xbox motion sensors which track where your feet are, and you control the car like that, behind the scenes have all the servo's and what's needed... the battery has to be say over 25% for the electronic controls to be allowed...

Do you think significant savings could be made this way? or would costs rise else where to offset these savings?... and of course would people drive this way?, would you?

The bouns is, the electronics could be also fitted passenger side and the police would have the ability to stop any vehicle with these kinds of electronics providing a safe means is possible, with the next step of fly by wire....

Well looks to be nice idea but not sure that my grandfather will be ok with that!
Here a subsidiary or Renault car manufacturer (Dacia) find a way to reduce car cost.
They put less electronic! mean less electrical motors, less control board, less cabling.
I don' t have the figures but sure the part of electronics equipments in cars is continuously growing.

To summarize replace 4 X 200$ door windows motors by 4 crank handles will be nice too ;)

Good idea... in theory at least... am sure it will be explored in a few years. Wud be excited to see a car without any pedals or the steering wheel! :)