Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Changing the timer of an old battery charger to a longer time

I have a Uniross X-press 300 battery charger and it just like this but I think I have an older version with lower current:

ZTEzNjlkOTNhMzIyMjE2YTk3YTE4ZGJjYTE2NDk4Yzb0y7scQ0wnIX9IZVnC5D1waHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNDhhN2RhOTU5NGQ3NTdlOWE4MjY3ZDE5NjQ5ODQyNDc1ZDQ2MDY1NDRiMDFlOGRlMzA1MjVkZGY3MDNhNjFhNS5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

The selector switch toggles between a six or nine hour charge time and since battery capacities have increased significantly since I bought it about 15 years ago, it needs to be switched off an on to reset the timer. Is there a way to modifiy the electronics inside to extend the timer, by modiying a resistor or capacitor for example? It looks like this inside:

jZ9TxY0.png

4dyJIMn.png

Hi Harald, the chip is HCF4060BE WK01P0352. It's definitely got something to do with the timing.

There are a lot of versions of the chip but mine is pretty old, I think and no longer manufactured. I found a datasheet for HCF4060B without the E but it's very hard to understand the system of numbering the pins so it's hard to figure out which pins are in use.

nXza0Dd.png

HjNT4AI.png

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

The 4060B is a counter with integrated oscillator. The frequency of this chip is set by 2 resistors and a capacitor, see the datasheet, figure 12 unless an external oscillator is used (which is not obvious from your pictures).

The responsible capacitor seems to be this blue blob:
upload_2017-1-26_8-36-21.png
Check its connections, it should go to pin 9 of the 4060B and via a resistor to pin10. If so, place a second capacitor of the same capacity in parallel to double the time, or replace this cap by a cap of ~twice the capacity, same voltage rating.