Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CDI tweaking

I have a CDI box that was reverse engineered for a motorcycle. The first circuit built lasted a little over a year before failing. A new circuit identical except for a higher wattage resistor lasted an hour. No visibly apparent clue as to what component failed. Have not done a part by part check yet. Anyway, I was hoping someone here could assist me in improving the design. I am at best a neophyte at electronics, I know what the parts are, can solder OK, I just can't do the heavy thinking on what does what to what because of that,etc. An OEM CDI costs about $120.00, the parts for the home built unit are running about $30.00. It is a very simple circuit, 9 parts is all that is in it. I am not looking to manufacture these as it only fits the 1976 and 1977 model years of this bike. I would like to post the schematic and parts list on the motorcycle forum I belong to for other members who have this same model for free. But I need to make it more reliable. If anyone is interested in helping me, I would appreciate it, I have the OEM schematic (no part values) and the home built circuit schematic with parts to work from. In advance, thanks, Robert