Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Car radio static

Here's one for you... The Pioneer radio in my truck (2001 Chevy Silverado Pickup) works perfectly when the engine is running and transmission is in park. When I shift out of park, the static is so bad I have to shut the radio off! I have no clue what would be causing this. Help!
Bill

davenn

hi ya Bill
Welcome

When I shift out of park, the static is so bad I have to shut the radio off! I have no clue what would be causing this. Help!

engine running or not in above scenario ??

if running and noisy, is it diesel or petrol engine /

^ I suspect petrol because it's usually related somehow to the ignition system, that putting it in drive changes the engine RPM just enough to be a problem.

Has it always been like this or has it gotten worse? If it has gotten worse I would suspect dried up capacitors in the radio or the antenna connection has corroded, or damaged spark plug wire(s). I'm suggesting you have poor signal to noise ratio then the question is whether the signal needs increased or the noise decreased.

If it was always like this, I would wonder about the state of your spark plug wires. Are they a deviation from the stock resistive carbon conductor wires, a solid copper or wire core instead? Are they damaged and arcing against the engine (or another ground) ? Is it possible your radio has a bad ground connection?

Static sounds from a radio are Amplitude fluctuations which are AM. An AM radio picks up lots of static interference but an FM radio ignors amplitude fluctuations and is quiet.
I never use AM radio and always listen to FM radio so I hear no static.

^ I suspect petrol because it's usually related somehow to the ignition system, that putting it in drive changes the engine RPM just enough to be a problem.

Has it always been like this or has it gotten worse? If it has gotten worse I would suspect dried up capacitors in the radio or the antenna connection has corroded, or damaged spark plug wire(s). I'm suggesting you have poor signal to noise ratio then the question is whether the signal needs increased or the noise decreased.

If it was always like this, I would wonder about the state of your spark plug wires. Are they a deviation from the stock resistive carbon conductor wires, a solid copper or wire core instead? Are they damaged and arcing against the engine (or another ground) ? Is it possible your radio has a bad ground connection?

It's a petrol motor. The RPM change is not noticeable. I just got the vehicle so i don't know it it always did it or not. It's not the original radio. Thanks!

A cheap or defective FM radio picks up AM static. A good FM radio does not.
You never said if the static is heard on AM (it normally pick up static) or FM.

Here's one for you... The Pioneer radio in my truck (2001 Chevy Silverado Pickup) works perfectly when the engine is running and transmission is in park. When I shift out of park, the static is so bad I have to shut the radio off! I have no clue what would be causing this. Help!
Bill
My guess is that some electronic module comes into play when the drive is shifted. And this has some bad radiation causing static.