Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

In the diagram the yellow disc component has been assumed to be a capacitor. However, as you say the circuit would not work if it was. The yellow disc has to be something else like a thermal fuse, or a current limiting device of some sort. I am writing this late at night and I am too tired to analyse the rest of the circuit, I'm afraid.

Harald Kapp

Where is the image from? The original website could help solve the riddle. I agree with @TCSC47 that this is possibly a current limiting device, e.g. an NTC.
The symbol in the schematic diagram is incorrect in any case.

Where is the image from? The original website could help solve the riddle. I agree with @TCSC47 that this is possibly a current limiting device, e.g. an NTC.
The symbol in the schematic diagram is incorrect in any case.
It's my drawing and my photos of my cheap cordless drill NiCad charger. I agree it's a current limiter. I didn't know those existed pretending to look like capacitors!

It's my drawing and my photos of my cheap cordless drill NiCad charger. I agree it's a current limiter. I didn't know those existed pretending to look like capacitors!

that's definitely a thermistor ntc or ptc, is it there to prevent an inrush or is it there to decrease current are you positive your circuit is correct?