Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Call it feed back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined the site in the interest of a hobbyist, it looked ok for a while, there are a lot of pleasant members always willing to help, the forum is a good one + 1 to Ian.

My absence has been two fold, firstly illness and secondly a couple of members that took a dislike of me from day one, i cant be doing with those tiny minded individuals that cant have a sensible debate with out getting contrary, for me it spoiled it, for the most part i know the pleasant members thrive which is excellent.

In the early days of joining it was put to me by a member that i posted to often, a childish argument ensued, old news been and gone, those couple of members that took a dislike to me from day one believe they are a higher power, shame really, as i am a modest hobbyist.

I pop in from time to time as there are many intersting topics going on, as for a more active status i really cant be bothered with the cold atmosphere these couple of members cause, others might get on with them, affraid i dont, there ego is way over inflated.

Maybe its the nature of forum life, i dont really know, i expect the PM's to go back and forward after my post, ive slated no one, this is feed back from my perspective, i will only ever be a hobbyist (NOT CLAIM TO KNOW EVERYTHING) If this post is deleted it will show the nature of the power hungry individuals that took a dislike to me, and only reinforce there hatered towards me.

Just feed back as ive not been about for a while, long may interesting topics continue and pleasant members thrive, the forum is exellent and not spoiled for others which is exellent, but it will never be the same as the begining for me, wish you all well on a final and will pop in from time to time to see the great topics going on. (-;

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Welcome back Dave.

edit: Sorry to hear what you're thinking Dave.

However *I* would not remove this post for several reasons:

1. It *IS* feedback, and it is on-topic for this section.
  2. If justified, negative feedback is great. How else can we know that you think something is wrong?
  3. You're talking about personal perception, and whilst I may not share that perception, I don't dismiss it. I don't know what perceptions others have. Maybe you're the first person who has thought to complain?
Another reason *I* wouldn't remove this post is that I have a feeling you're talking about me. I think I recognise some of the things you're complaining about, and suggesting that people post less often (more quality, less quantity) is certainly my style.

Dave, I try not to make moderation decisions that I'll regret, but it happens. We have a fairly new, regular poster that gave the exact type of suggestion that I refer to above. When I look at his posts now, I can't help but cringe at what I did.

If it's me Dave, post it here (or tell me privately). I certainly won't hold it against you.

And Dave, I did notice your absence.

Last edited:
Dave,

Being a newer member of this site I know that I dont have the long term experience that other have, but I have noticed that there are a lot of people who have a lot of posts under their belts that just answer the questions with short to the point responses with a cold mechanical exactness. I noticed that shortly after I joined, I was determined to not be like that, and post encompassing, warm, informative responses, but after doing that a few times you encounter people who are lazy, want you to do all the work for them, and dont even try to do anything on their own.
I think steve is one of the ones who uses LMGTFY (let me google that for you) for single cold responses but I totally understand why now

When I see a thread where someone has tried 3, 4, 5 things and still have no resolution to the problem, I tend to try to take some extra time and make my response longer and with more details and more interest than someone saying they couldnt get something to work first try and they havent even googled it

There are times where people get defensive, and I know that I am guilty of it at times, but the nature of some people is to be defensive and argumentative, so sometimes this helps move the discussion along, though it does get annoying when people basically yell at someone who gives an answer that doesnt work

I think that there are a lot of people on here that really are good contributors to the community, any post that GonzoEngineer, CocaCola, (*steve*) and a few others post on I will take the time to read even if I dont have anything to contribute because I value their input and expertise, and I truly feel accepted with them so thank you for that steve

Looking back at a lot of the older posts there has been a lot of growth in the forum, and in the contributors.

Dave being new to the field (just graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology) I hope that you will return when you have the time to do so because at the very least I would like to gain knowledge from your experience, and I think that you would definitely add to the community with your passion for electronics.

this is actually quite ironic. I was just about to post on a similiar topic.
As yet I have not found any harshness, but there are times when I feel like my questions are from a 2 year old not a 30 year old. I too am a hobbyist, but have aspirations to find that gimmicky device that will one day make me a couple of bucks (notice my signature people)

Dave I see your posts as being both informative and friendly and I for 3(the 2 above me seem to agree) that you have been a welcome addition to this site. If you weren't in the UK or I wasn't in aus I would say lets bounce some ideas of each other.
there are times when I see people get short answers but most of the time the question was one or 2 lines so I assume they kept the question short in the hope of the answer being short.
I hope you hang around and if you ever want a quiet word feel free to pm me... however my experience may be about the same as the 12 year old up the road lol.
the google response I understand too. some people just ask a question and there have been one or 2 times when the original poster gets a little upset that we don't respond immediately.... but when I type in their question verbatim into google I get the answer the poster was after... its just some people either forget or neglect to check google first.
I do love when people put in their experiences(if you can find my thread labelled "solar" you will see the contributions there) as that makes this forum feel closer.
I sincerely hope to see your posts soon, and to hear your on the mend. good luck

Greetings,

I feel like I should put in my 2 bob worth. When I first came here I rubbed a few people the wrong way with my terrible humour - which in itself is usually a sign that I'm comfortable with a group of people - but everyone sees the world differently and in an enviroment primarily aimed at serious questions and answers its easy to offend people amdn make them think youre poking fun at them (which was never my intention).

Anywhere you go there are always going to be a few people you dont get along with. You can either step up and try to fix the problem honestly or just ignore them and concentrate on what youre there for. If you avoid a place because of 1 or 2 individuals the only one really losing out is you.

All things said, this place is excellent and drama free - even when everyones patience is tested to the limit (not mentioning any names). I've admin'd some of the worst places the therian / furry communities have to offer so nothing phases me anymore :p

Welcome back Dave.

edit: Sorry to hear what you're thinking Dave.

However *I* would not remove this post for several reasons:

1. It *IS* feedback, and it is on-topic for this section.
  2. If justified, negative feedback is great. How else can we know that you think something is wrong?
  3. You're talking about personal perception, and whilst I may not share that perception, I don't dismiss it. I don't know what perceptions others have. Maybe you're the first person who has thought to complain?
Another reason *I* wouldn't remove this post is that I have a feeling you're talking about me. I think I recognise some of the things you're complaining about, and suggesting that people post less often (more quality, less quantity) is certainly my style.

Dave, I try not to make moderation decisions that I'll regret, but it happens. We have a fairly new, regular poster that gave the exact type of suggestion that I refer to above. When I look at his posts now, I can't help but cringe at what I did.

If it's me Dave, post it here (or tell me privately). I certainly won't hold it against you.

And Dave, I did notice your absence.
A while since ive been logged in, the old saying, by all means think yourself big, but never see others as small !
Thats for more than one Steve, IMHO it applies to a couple of members, but its of no significance to me, i see the good in those that go the extra mile helping others. :)

Welcome back Dave, I hope it was not me who upset you.
I read the posts to get information and learn more about electronics. Occasionally I can see obvious errors and put in a comment. Sometimes I can see a simple solution and I post it.

Many times the person asking a question has not thought sufficiently about the problem and this can result in a long rambling question. I try to get to the nub of the problem which results in a short, possibly terse response. I am not the chatty sort and find it difficult to add any humour but I enjoy it when I see it.

There are all sorts here as in any other walk of life and, in my dotage, I have come to the conclusion that the more people poke fun of me, the more they like and accept me for what I am.

Dave, how are you getting on with your power supplies?

Welcome back Dave, I hope it was not me who upset you.
I read the posts to get information and learn more about electronics. Occasionally I can see obvious errors and put in a comment. Sometimes I can see a simple solution and I post it.

Many times the person asking a question has not thought sufficiently about the problem and this can result in a long rambling question. I try to get to the nub of the problem which results in a short, possibly terse response. I am not the chatty sort and find it difficult to add any humour but I enjoy it when I see it.

There are all sorts here as in any other walk of life and, in my dotage, I have come to the conclusion that the more people poke fun of me, the more they like and accept me for what I am.

Dave, how are you getting on with your power supplies?
No Duke no member has upset me, no one really got my back up it takes a lot for that, its more a couple of people looking down on me as insignificant, i received an email this morning from a moderator accusing my post above of stirring up trouble, how that mod worked that out i will never know, and to answer Steve's question he's not upset me, its been and gone, i was just pointing out in my above post that where all human beings and as such equal on that level, no one's any less a member than the next one.

Anyway i plan to pop in now and again and follow topics, maybe help out as a modest hobbyist where i can, just on a final in here why did the moderator in question email me saying i was trying to stir up trouble, but not honest enough to post to my reply ? don't matter won't lose sleep over it, they know who they are and took a dislike of me from very early on, all i will say is there was a big ding dong a long way back with someone that needs to grow up, anyway onwards and upwards it a great forum with some super members always there to help others. :)

Ian

Administrator
By mutual agreement with Daveelectronic, we've closed the thread as the feedback has been made and resurrecting it periodically doesn't serve any constructive purpose now that is is resolved :).

Status
Not open for further replies.