Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cable Shielding Question

Hello!

My current question is about shielding on cables. I'm relatively new to electronics. I can solder, burn myself, make blue puffs of smoke and wire the house successfully.

So, I'm part of a reenactment group that just formed and we have a tank. Well, one guy owns it. We get to play with it and such. It's a t-34 modified to look like a tiger. It's actually that tank that was in Saving Private Ryan. It needs work to say the least and we are not rich. Being it's been modified we aren't concerned about refurbishment so much as functionality while keeping it "tanky".

So the owner of the tank has an AM-1780 VIC1, 2 headsets, some cx-4723 and a couple c-2298's. I scored three more cx-2298's off ebay and am negotiating for heasdets with the cables to the c-2298's now. However, I need the cables from the c-2298's to the AM-1780. Lengths vary. They will be connected to a 24v battery, iirc, which is connected to a generator on a detroit diesel. So there is a lot of metal (it's a tank) and noise and I don't really know how much EM noise. However, being the cables are so thick I assumed it was because there was noise. One of the reasons people say they don't use COTS stuff is because of the whine in large metal vehicles.

So from the bow gunners position I need to cable around the tank to the driver, loader, gunner and tank commander positions. Anywhere from 5 feet to maybe 20. Not sure how I'm going to wire up the turret boxes yet to deal with the rotation. The whole system runs on 24V and seems to draw a couple amps.

Any advice at all that you have is good. I'm new to this but they gave it to me because I'm supposedly the one who said "ooh cool, a radio!". I just figure things out and get them working. I was thinking of using cat-6 STP or something but am not sure it's enough. the cables themselves are from the 80's and are huge. Just google CX-4723. Radionerds has the pinouts so if I can score the connectors cheap I can make the cable. Just trying to determine if it's worth it or if I could add features to make it worth in. I've read about braid vs foil, and grounding loops and torroidal magnets (though I'm not sure what they do.)

I suppose I can ground it to the tank, sure:) So radio may be the wrong term. Lemme get a pic of it in use. Intercom may be a better name?
https://www.pinztrek.com/pinz/mods/pinzcomms/icom
Any thoughts?

That is very cool.
I cant answer specifically, but cable shielding should be grounded at the source end. It's best to keep your leads as short as possible, twist the leads to avoid noise and use shrink wrap at the ends.
I would guess you would land your shields on the chassis ground where the intercom is.
See if you can find a schematic to post.

Not sure which cable your talking about. Your going to have to work out the details, but the example of the 18pin plug shows wires Blue/white, black/red, white/red, orange/red shielded to pin A which is ground.
I would start with a big piece of paper and plot out a sketch of what is where, and refer to the pdf for connections.