Maker Pro
Maker Pro

build it for me

I am seeing this pop up alot on this forum of late. I have a great idea, you do all the work for me. we even had one guy tell us he had a great idea and was willing to pay someone to build it, but then never gave us even a vague idea on what the object was.
I know you guys help out alot but somewhere on these forums would it be possible to have something saying we don''t build for you, but inspire you to build, and help on the way to a completed project?
or we could do the alternative which is everytime we see someone asking for us to build it either point them to a production house or ignore them completely.
just a thought

I'm willing to help the hobbyist to the commercial guy build stuff it they are willing to actually disclose and share with me, as well as fully comprehend what is involved... If I had more time I would love to help out even more hobbyist with simply little pre-programmed micros at a reasonable cost for some of the projects that I know never happen because it's too involved for the casual guy... I would do this even if I don't make anything on it if the project interest me or the party was sincere... But, heck I just don't have the time right now for that...

I personally don't think sending them to any design houses would be a good idea, that is IMO better left to the diligent studies and research of the person spending the money... It's not hard for them to hit Google up for a few hours and source out some design firms that appear legit and let them do the contacting and leg work, after all it's their money...

My biggest gripe is that everyone 'believes' they have invented the wheel and it must be kept super secret, if you want to keep it that secret build it yourself... Because trust me if you hire the 'budget' design firm and your design becomes popular you can bet you booty that all the sudden an exact replica will pop up... I have experienced this first hand when I was talking to an Asian manufacture looking to build my 'own' version of a product since the competitor couldn't keep up... Guess what, they saw my design and said they already had the tooling done for a near identical product and wanted to know how many I wanted... I just happened to be talking to the same manufacture the competitor was already using and they were willing to run off his parts under the table for me...

I think a better approach is more along the lines of what Steve hinted at, a Sticky post that has valid 'input' on what is involved it taking a product from idea to prototype and how expensive it can get... People have no idea how expensive designing and prototyping is... The go to Wal-Mart (or whatever store) and get dirt cheap electronics that are mass produced by the millions, from established electronics design firms that have full time staffing churning out this stuff in mass... They see the $10 AM/FM clock radio with CD player at the store and think it can't be that much to make my little device... They have no clue that to get the injections molds made for something the size of say a key fob remote is about $25K... Heck it would cost you about $5K just to get a mold made for the buttons on that $10 clock... The general public is totally oblivious to this, they have zero concept... They also don't have a clue that generally with electronics you need multiple revisions before you dial the design in, and with each revision silly amounts of money can be consumed...

I'm not saying it's impossible to bring a small design or even a complicated one to market, it can be done, but it's cost when you have to depend and hire outside people to do the work...

My 3am rant...

davenn

Personally, I'm getting really sick of those styles of posts
Maybe, in my old age, Im not as tolerant as I once was ... I dunno,
Im just finding it more and more obnoxious

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Yeah, I always get the feeling they are thinking "you guys look cheap and gullible..."

Yeah, I always get the feeling they are thinking "you guys look cheap and gullible..."

That combined with the likely fact they can't/won't get a real design house to return their emails if they are formatted anything like their post... Or they get floored with a quote that they deny is reality and insist that if they beg enough someone will hook them up...

Many years ago I had contacted several design houses inquiring about a schematic and source code for a custom Mp3 player that was a 10 button mapped to 10 static tracks, I was just curious what they would charge... I had already specified the Mp3 decoder chip I wanted to use as well as a complete flow chart of the code logic... Most ignored me and one in India came back with a $15,000 quote, with an email the simply said... "Yes, we can do that it will cost $15,000 USD" and included bank routing information for a wire transfer... Needless to say I ended up just doing the coding myself...

I agree that this is really becoming an issue, I know that I have asked for help before but when you are asking for design help for a product that is already pretty much perfected and/or obsolete saying that you have the next big innovation with it but have no experience with electronics then its either trying to get free funding for nothing, or a way to dupe people into helping you and wasting their time