Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bleeder resister size

I want to put a resister accross a DC supply leads to discharge the voltage in the capacitors. This will be only used to discharge after each useage. I expect the voltage to be from 1 to 125v DC and the amperage to max of 3 amps.
I checked all of my books and the internet and I could not find any info on size and from my limited knowledge I understand you should not discharge a cap too fast...Thanks...colum ( I its too late to put an internal res accross the cap)

davenn

from what I have seen across big caps in amplifier PSU's running at ~ 50 to 70VDC something up ~ 10k , 1/2 Watt would be OK

cheers
Dave

from what I have seen across big caps in amplifier PSU's running at ~ 50 to 70VDC something up ~ 10k , 1/2 Watt would be OK

cheers
Dave
Sorry, Dave, but at 125V a 10K resistor will dissipate 1.6 Watts. A 1/2 W resistor ain't going to make it.

Bob

Sorry, Dave, but at 125V a 10K resistor will dissipate 1.6 Watts. A 1/2 W resistor ain't going to make it.

Bob

Hi Bob. Since this is just for bleeding a capacitor thats disconnected from the power supply would it make a difference and would a permanently installed bleeder require different ratings..Thanks...colum

If the resistor is connected all the time, it would have to be at least 2W. If you only connect when it is powered off, I suppose you could get by with less.

Bob