Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Audio transformer for crystal set help

Yes, as Bob said... The CT isn't used in that circuit.

Cheers,
Chris

Another reason I could imagine for the centre tap is so that those who don't know any better (such as me) don't fit the transformer the way around. Does that make sense?

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
Another reason I could imagine for the centre tap is so that those who don't know any better (such as me) don't fit the transformer the way around. Does that make sense?

Actually this next quote is far more likely...
Hi Bob

Oh, yes. I'm wondering - perhaps they specified a centre tap because one of the other circuits in the book needs it. (It's just a little thing where the list of all the needed components is given at the beginning of the book, and then several circuits are given.) In any case I'll try it when I get there.
Cheers,
Errol

This is a bit off topic but do you live in a Library?:D

Cheers,
Chris

Actually this next quote is far more likely...

This is a bit off topic but do you live in a Library?:D

Cheers,
Chris

Ha, ha. That's just a corner of one room. Luckily we live at an altitude of 6000 feet or all the books in this house would have sunk us long ago!

Regarding the centre tapped transformer, that guess of mine was actually wrong. I checked through the rest of the book, and no other circuit uses the centre tap. So maybe it really is meant as an aid to help us beginners from going wrong. And Microsoft thinks they discovered user-friendly.

CDRIVE

On the other hand the center tapped xfmr might have been what he had in his junk box.

Cheers,
Chris

CDRIVE

The 100k base bias resistor is far too high.
The transformer is only about 20 ohms
The designer of the circuit does not understand electronics.
Collin this is a milestone. You wrote a complete paragraph and it didn't contain a link to your website. Are you feeling OK? :p

Cheers,
Chris