Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ATX PSU 24v mod

To the main question about mod a ordinary atx psu to obtain 24v, my answer is yes, it can be done. In a test, it delivered to me about 30v.
I made a couple of mods, one of them has an AT2005 and another has a SG6105, very different chips. The filosofy are very similar, but each chip has different qualities. SG6105 has protections over negative voltages, AT2005 hasn't. SG6105 has direct inputs on the real voltages under control (3.3v, 5v and 12v), AT2005 has inputs labeled v33, v5 and v12, but must be 2.5v on each to work. My first approach was to connect v33 (by a resistive divisor) and v5 inputs to +5vsb (+5V Stand By, obtained by a secondary/independent power supply inside the big one) and calculate a resistive divisor to the v12 input, connected to the new +24v output. The divisor can mantain the over/under voltage protection in a range, let's say, from +22v to +26v, more or less. In the SG6105 case, a potentiometer from pins 16/17 to ground makes the varaiability, in the AT2005 Vadj is the pin 2.
To obtain the maximum current the psu can deliver, I changed the output diodes (I really changed the entire rails from the transformer outputs). The diodes snubbers were maintained as original.
Remember to replace the output capacitors to more voltage ones, and a little tip: don't forget to change the load resistor of the psu. In my case, a 330 ohms/15w did the work.

I did it.

No need to re-wind transformers or whatever, all you have to do is alter voltage going to the sense pins on the I.C to trick it into thinking it's putting out a lower voltage than it is. I had mine variable all the way from 0 to 24v (You'll need to upgrade the output caps to a higher voltage rating if you want more than 16v.

Get the pinout off google images for your (onboard chip)
And I can help you.
Alternatively, message Dravven (draven?) He's done it and he helped me do mine.
It's definitely possible and not to hard once you familiarise yourself with your particular I.C

Attachments

• Power supply.jpg
    Power supply.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 368
Fair enough bigone.

Have you considered building a linear supply instead?
I made one using the lm317 variable voltage regulator which works well, if you change your mind I'd be willing to help. =)

Ok, if you wanna mess around with computer p.s.u's this may help you - I hope so anyways.

You can trick the I.C into putting out a higher voltage by showing the sense pins higher voltages. All you need to do is look up the I.C chip datasheet to find out what each pin does.
I have successfully done this modification to one P.S.U with good results.

Notes: You can use 50K pots to make the voltages variable.
Make sure you change the output caps on the power supply to 25V or over or they may explode. These output caps will be on the low voltage side of the p.s.u and near the output wires.

Taken from another forum -

You need to fool the ic to think the sense pins 3,5, are ok,
also pin 6 is the over current sense pin, no more than 0.7V or it will shut down, (Leave this one floating)

the variable voltage is on pin 2 you need to isolate it and connect it to your variable pot, which is across the 12v yellows and blacks,
connect the Green wire to any black to make the psu run

IF it works ok,
the output capacitors on the 12v and 5v supply will need to be increased to 35V working or higher as the output will go upto 28v dc on the 12v rail, and the 5 v rail will go upto 12v

Note the videos on youtube no longer work...

Attachments

• atx.png
    atx.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 971
Ahh shit forgot I'd already replied to this one lol. My bad. Hope you found a nice p.s.u that suits your needs. =)