Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Are these solder pads okay?

im trying to repair the board for a display unit on my dirt bike.

two of the diodes suffered some corrosion around the legs which caused the display to fail.

Ive sourced what i think should be suitable replacements for soldering back on to the board.
Before i do that i wanted to check the condition of the solder pads.

From the photos can you guys tell if the pads shown in the pic ( where one of the diodes has been removed) are in usable condition?

Ive given them a clean up with electrical contact cleaner but they dont look great. Im not sure if they are badly corroded or just need more cleaning!

is there any way i can check them with a multimeter before starting any soldering?

Im not an expert on this so thought i see if i might need to do anything else before attempting to solder the new items

DSCN1616.jpg

DSCN1611.jpg

They look OK to me, what i usually do to the foil that appears to conduct significant current is to re-enforce it with Solder Wick style of copper braid.
The one diode D4 appears to have a cold solder joint.!
M.

They look OK to me, what i usually do to the foil that appears to conduct significant current is to re-enforce it with Solder Wick style of copper braid.
M.
I have some braided solder wick but
not sure how exactly you reinforce the pad, could you explain that in more detail?

The one diode D4 appears to have a cold solder joint.!
M.

Yes that is to be removed and corrected!

Mainly aimed at a large copper pad or areas such as the bottom left corner, before I saw the pads you were referring to.
Some times pads such as these are intended for higher current capacity.
M.

Mainly aimed at a large copper pad or areas such as the bottom left corner, before I saw the pads you were referring to.
Some times pads such as these are intended for higher current capacity.
M.
Ahh i see.

Yes my original post was referring to the two small pads for the missing diode an D1.