Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Any through-hole microcontrollers which are programmable via USB?

I've recently came across the Atmega32u4 which is a very nice microcontroller. The thing I like most about it is the fact that it can be programmed directly over a USB connection, by wiring it up in a certain way.

However I often work with breadboards and I'd like a microcontroller similar to this but which I can program over USB, but which I can use on a breadboard.

but I'm looking for one which I don't need a seperate board to program.

Why..?
It's not as though it is difficult to connect or expensive to buy.
Most Arduino have the chip on-board or if you go to ProMini, then as above.
PicKit actually already has an add on zif socket that covers a mass of chip sizes for programming.
I don't see where the "uhhh...soooo hard" comes in.

Why..?
It's not as though it is difficult to connect or expensive to buy.
Most Arduino have the chip on-board or if you go to ProMini, then as above.
PicKit actually already has an add on zif socket that covers a mass of chip sizes for programming.
I don't see where the "uhhh...soooo hard" comes in.
the "uhhh.soooo hard"? I haven't said it's hard to do, I'm just looking for a more convenient way to do it. Besides, i'd rather spend no money than spend some money.

I have been using an esp8266 based module called a nodemcu. It's Arduino compatible and uses the Arduino IDE. It has a micro usb connector that supplies power to the module, loads the pgms and supports diagnostic data. The exp8266 has built-in wifi. The nodemcu pinouts are breadboard compatible. It's a nice package about 1.25"x 2.25". It even has OTA, Over The Air program loading, where you can upload programs over wifi.