Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Any 3 phase transformer experts please?

Hi, I'm fairly sure this transformer is to transform 3 phase 415 to 240 and 110 but how do you wire it? There are no more connections other than waht you see? It belongs on a milling machine which has all 3 voltage motors on it, a small 110 motor, a very small 240 motor and 2 bigger 415's. Any help greatly needed. thanks

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 167

Harald Kapp

Welcome to our forum, Midyo.

I doubt this is a three phase transformer. You'd have 3 input wires and for each output voltage 3 output wires. This makes 9 wires for 415V input and 110V and 240V output.
Also a three phase transformer doesn't convert three phases into one phase, but the image shows only one connection (aka phase) for each voltage.

So I'm fairly sure this is a single phase transformer. You probably connect one phase of the 415V to the transformer to step down to the 2 output voltages.

The best thing would be to find a schematic wiring diagram of the milling machine. Otherwise remote diagnostic with this little information is difficult, to say the least.

Welcome to our forum, Midyo.

I doubt this is a three phase transformer. You'd have 3 input wires and for each output voltage 3 output wires. This makes 9 wires for 415V input and 110V and 240V output.
Also a three phase transformer doesn't convert three phases into one phase, but the image shows only one connection (aka phase) for each voltage.

So I'm fairly sure this is a single phase transformer. You probably connect one phase of the 415V to the transformer to step down to the 2 output voltages.

The best thing would be to find a schematic wiring diagram of the milling machine. Otherwise remote diagnostic with this little information is difficult, to say the least.

Ah, thanks Harald. I think I understand it now, I didnt realise you could just use one of the phases to step it down to 220/110. I asumed all 3 phases would have to be connected.