Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Android TV Power Supply

Hi,

I've bought a small android TV which came with a mains power adapter which outputs 5V DC 2000mA via a 5.5x2.1mm Jack Cable. I would like to power this device in the car, so I've bought a USB to 5.5x2.1mm Jack Cable, and a USB car charger which outputs 2.4A. They are the same polarity (center positive). However the TV box doesn't work when connected to the car. I can hear the USB car charger making a faint whining sound when I plug it in, so I'm reasonably confident it's connected OK.

Any ideas what's wrong?

I'm wondering if the USB to jack cable is not capable of carrying the current, or maybe the initial draw is too high.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

George

Just thought I'd report back in case someone else reads this in the future.

I bought a "DROK USB Port Adjustable Constant Current Electronic Load" from ebay. Arrived next day :)

First I check the adjustable load was accurate with my own multi meter. Then I was able to verify that the USB PSU can supply 2.4A. Further testing proved that the problem was the USB to 5.5x2.1mm Jack Cable which couldn't even supply 0.5A, and was giving less than 3.5V just before it gave in.